28

It had been a week since Reggie Smith's funeral, a week of Tommy and Delilah trying to rebuild their relationship in the best way they could. Delilah was no doubt still grieving but there would be nights where Francis would visit her in her dreams. And she'd tell the girl that the only way she'll get over it and the only way things could ever go back to normal in the slightest way, was if she forced herself to be happy, do things that would distract her.

As much as she didn't want to be happy, as much as that made her feel guilty, she knew she had to try.

Tommy had agreed to let his daughter be more involved in the company, help him out here and there.

Delilah also felt guilty for if she ever did move on from Reggie. But another thing Francis had told her was that holding onto something that can't hold back, is the worst form of torture you can give yourself.

-

"When we pull up outside this house, i need you to keep an eye on this pocket watch, track the time it takes until a copper approaches us" Tommy told Delilah as they drove up the road. She took the watch from his hand and looked at it once they came from a stop.

"What your business?" A man in uniform approached. "Sorry, we're lost"

"Yeah well you can't stop here. Move on" he said. Tommy grunted and started up the car again, "How long?" he asked her.

"Twenty three seconds"

"What's this plan then?" she asked. He kept his eyes on the road. "I'm not too sure yet, but we are getting somewhere,"

-

Delilah placed the papers down on Tommy's desk. "John said that's this weeks earnings from the races, he said it's 10% more than last week," she said. He nodded, pouring a glass of whiskey.

"Well, i've got nothing else for you to do, Michael's down the hall in his office, go home or go to him," he shrugged.

Delilah began walking but then stopped. "Can i ask a question?" she asked. He raised his eyebrows. "How did you deal with it? Mum dying?"

Tommy licked his bottom lip. "I didn't," he said, "i acted as though it never happened. Like i do with everything, run away from the problem" Tommy swallowed, sitting down. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering" she whispered before slipping out of the office.

"Hello, Micheal" she peered her head into the room. He looked up. "Delilah" he hummed. "Can i sit?" she asked. "Yeah" Micheal said politely, writing numbers down.

Isiah walked in, sitting beside her. "Hello Micheal, Lilah" he nodded.

"What brings you here?" She asked the older boy, crossing her arms. "Pay day," he said, his accent thick. Micheal looked between the two clearing his throat, "Day rate, seven shillings" he spoke, sliding the coins forward. "Loading unloading. Night rate, three. Total ten"

"Let's go and get a drink" Isiah spoke.

"No i'm alright"

"Come on its pay day" Isiah argued, putting out his cigarette. "Everybody has a drink on payday"

"Not me"

"You think your mum don't have a drink on pay day? You think the lord almighty don't have a drink on payday" he laughed, his accent strong.

Delilah slapped his arm at the remark of her father. Isiah put his hands up in defence.

"Man it's on fire out there. Woman from the BSA offices. Honest. They go out on their own without men these days. In twos and threes now. Mickey, they go out in twos and threes and buy their own drinks"

"The Marquis" Isiah continued. "That's where the BSA secretaries go. Look, they won't serve a black man without a Shelby by his side"

Micheal looked at him. "And if you won't come, i'll just take Delilah. You'll come with me won't you" He shrugged. Micheal sat up straight. "So you're using me"

"Yeah? Come on?"

"You do realise that Delilah is more of a Shelby than i am?" he asked. "Yeah..but Tommy would kill me if he found out id taken his daughter out drinking"

Micheal sighed and stood up. "See i knew it'd work" he nudged the girl. "What am i supposed to do now?" she asked. "She can come with, can't she Micheal?" Isiah said.

"Don't ask me" he raised his eyebrows.

Delilah shrugged. "I'm coming" she grinned, jokingly wrapping her arm around Isiah's as they walked out.

-

They walked into the pub, woman who walked past smiling at them.

"I told you. I fucking told you. This city is going mad" Isiah laughed. "Girls go out on their own now" he handed Micheal a cigarette.

"Two pints of dark mild please" Micheal asked the man. "Fuck that, we're peaky boys, three whiskeys" Isiah corrected.

"Three?" he asked Isiah. Isiah nodded toward Delilah who'd sat up on a stool.

Micheal shook his head , lighting the cigarette. "You smoke?" He asked the girl, offering her one. "I do" she grinned.

Before he gave her it, he pulled it away. "Since when?"

"Since my dad started leaving packets around" she shrugged, snatching it from his fingers. "You get used to it, then you can't stop" Isiah assured Micheal who'd began coughing.

Delilah let out a laugh, scanning the room for anybody who she might have known. She leaned in to Isiah, "is that Luke?" she whispered.

He looked over her shoulder. "It is,"

"Have you heard from him since..you know, the funeral?" she asked him. He shook his head. "Don't speak to me no more" He said.

Lilah frowned, taking a drag of the cigarette.