17

Act 2/season 2
1921

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne, that i'd say a few words over his grave if her were to die before me" he began.

Delilah glanced at Ada who held Karl close to her.

"I made this promise, before he became me brother in law" he nodded, "when we were in France, fighting for the king"

"Amen" Arthur said.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie, pestilence took him"

Esme passed her crying baby over to John.

"But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation" Tommy said, "before he was cruelly taken"

After everyone had said their goodbyes and made a few words, Delilah stood in front of John, entertaining the young child as Tommy and Ada walked off.

"We thought now Freddie's gone, you might come back to Birmingham" he suggested. "God do you know how funny it is that you've got chauffeurs in uniform" she scoffed.

"Just for the occasion Ada"

"Do you know how unfair it is that you've got four Bugatti's but half the country are starving?"

"So now they've made you ashamed of us" he questioned, "When i think how i used to be, it makes me embarrassed" she admitted.

"Karl's with his cousins" Polly interrupted, joining them. "Caught them trying to pinch flowers off a grave"

"Ada" Polly began, "are you coming home"

"I'm going home" Ada said coldly. "It's all right Pol, we make Ada embarrassed"

"That's not what i said"

"There's another reason we want you home" he argued, "we're planning on expansion. I'm taking premises in London"

"It's a funeral, business can wait" Polly said. "Polly, if Ada was weeping then i'd stop, but she's not"

"The expansion means it'll be dangerous for a Shelby in London for a while"

"Yeah" Ada nodded. "Well i'm not a Shelby anymore, and i'm not a Thorne now either" she whispered. "I'm free"

"I've got to get Karl home" she excused herself.

Tommy exhaled. "I told you, let me handle it" Polly said. "It's all right, i'll have some men watch her house till the danger passes"

They watched as a bike approached.

"Till the danger passed" she repeated. Arthur began walking to them.

"That'll be the bloody day" she scoffed.

The funeral was very different from Francis' funeral, people weren't as miserable, nobody was crying.

-

The Shelby cars drove through Small Heath, toward the Garrison. They all got out, staring at the pub that had been blown up. Delilah's eyes examined the ruins of the pub.

"Who's done this to my pub" Arthur hissed. They all stared at it. She stepped out of the car, wiping her hands on her dress, careful not to get it muddy.

Out of everyone in the family, out of the girls, Delilah was probably the best dressed. She'd wear dresses that were extremely simple but left people watching in awe.

Polly and Tommy approached the pub. "It happened at exactly 7 am" Moss told them. "Nobody saw anything, our patrols were not in the area"

"Mr Shelby, do you have any idea who might have done it"

"I'd say it was something to do with the gas" Tommy shrugged. "It's just been fitted" he said, handing Moss money.

"Madam the structures not yet declared safe" He warned Polly as she walked to the front of the pub, kneeling down. She picked up something, looking at it.

"This is all over the place" she stated, holding green confetti. "You can go" Tommy nodded at Moss. "Who?" Polly asked. "Who did this to us"

-

Lilah heard light tapping at her window, she carefully leaned forward, glancing out and seeing Reggie Smith stood in the dark.

She slid the window open. "What are you doing throwing stones at my window?" she asked.

"They're not stones" he shook his head. "They're sherbet lemons" he nodded, holding up the bag. She bit her lip, grinning. "Come give me one then" she said,  holding her hand out.

He shook his head. "If your dad ever knew i was climbing the drain pipe that lead to your window, he'd kill me" he whispered, carefully making his way up.

His foot balanced on the cobble fence, his hands on the window sill.

Delilah grabbed the bag, taking a sweet and placing it in her mouth. "Thank you Reggie Smith" she smiled, placing a quick kiss on his lips.

She'd learned that if she didn't make an effort to be happy, she'd never end up being happy. So although deep inside, over the two years her heart was breaking, she still tried.

"How was the funeral?" he asked. She shrugged. "Nobody seemed that sad, it was weird. Then we came home and the pub had been blown up"

"Yeah.." he whispered. "Ron was talking about it, said it woke him up"

Delilah let out a loud laugh before covering her mouth. "Shut up" he hissed, "or they'll all find out i'm here"

She laughed quieter. "Sorry" she whispered.