85

Diana, Oswald and Jack Nelson and Laura walked through the doors of Tommys house and into the dining room. "We assumed at this late hour you'd have had dinner" The butler spoke. "There are drinks and sandwiches if you want"

"We're not here to eat" Jack said.

"Mr Shelby will be down shortly"

"Please tell Mr Shelby on behalf of us all that changing the world can wait." Oswald said. "He doesn't want to wait, there is champagne,"

"Oh goodie"

Delilah stood at the door, watching as they all walked into the house. She turned away, pressing her nails into her palms and going to sit with Charles.

-

"Sing it," Jack looked at Laura. "I can't be singing rebel songs in a house of grief and mourning"

"Sing it to me softly, it breaks my heart"

Laura looked at Oswald. "Don't look at him, he's English, he can block his ears."

"Darling, should she sing her rebel IRA song while we wait?" he looked at Diana. "Or would that be inappropriate?"

"You know i sent to a meeting of similar intent to this in Berlin. Attended by the chancellor himself. And Göring and Himmler. It lasted until the sun came up. We spoke about the future of the world in a serious way. When the first rays of light entered the room we all stood and stared at it as if it were the world to come. There was no singing, no giggling, And when breakfast was served on the terrace overlooking the mountains-"

"Diana look what you've done, you've killed the mood" Mosley laughed.

Laura began singing and Tommy stood in the corner. Eventually he made his presence known.

"Thank you all for coming," he sat. "Now let's try and find out how this new world of our will look, shall we?"

"Perhaps Mr Mosley we can turn to what practical things Mr Nelson can do to further out cause while he is in the country."

"It's me who has the ear of the president of the United States" Jack said. "Which is kinda why i'm here, right?"

"We do indeed have things for you to whisper into the presidents ear" Mosley nodded. "Tell him we are England" Diana spoke. "We are the mood England it in"

"And in Ireland, appeasers to the English abound, but we represent the true liberated spirit of the country that populated your own" Laura looked at him.

"I hear about communists in both places" Jack shrugged.

"We are the bulwark against them" Diana smiled.

"When it comes to the working class, we could move out people from republicanism to fascism with just a nudge, they trust us" Laura said.

"You ride with hounds, Mr Mosley. Will you hunt communists?"

"Oh my hounds are baying"

"Shelby, you run as a socialist." Jack said.

"Thomas has one of the largest Commons majorities in England. In the heart of England, when the time comes he'll resign his party whip and run as an independent."

"But underneath, do you truly believe in the cause, Mr Shelby?"

Tommy glared at him. "I'm here. Mr Nelson i'm here. Four nights..four nights after and i am here in this room, in this meeting and i'm here, i'm serious."

"Prove it to him," Mosley said. "Prove it, physically" he stood, raising his arm. "Perish Judah" he said.

Tommy scoffed, doing the same.

"Mr Nelson can you report back to your president that the aristocracy and the meritocracy are united in their conviction that a new order is coming"

"Also, Mr Nelson, at present out weapons are coming from Germany. The British are closing out supply lines down, we would value a supply from Boston."

"Weapons, i can give you, if they're to be used in good cause. And while on the subject of import and export. Mr Shelby, in a light of our new relationship and since you have proven your commitment in a most extraordinary way, Boston is now officially open for the importation of your merchandise."

Tommy nodded. "Good." His eyes were red, he looked tired and annoyed. The look on his face was cold as he stared at the small wooden chair that belonged to Ruby.

He stood, walking out.

"If we have established what we came here to establish perhaps we should say goodnight," Diana suggested. "Absolutely" Mosley agreed.

-

Delilah sniffed, wiping under her eyes and sitting on the bed. "Ruby.." she whispered. "Ruby where are you, i know you're here.." her voice cracked slightly. "Mum?" Delilah spoke. "Reggie? Grace? Fucking anyone.."

"My girl," Francis whispered, appearing on the end of the bed. "Mum," her eyes stung.

"Hello, my girl." Francis smiled slightly, "you're doing so well" she whispered. "Mum, you've not came to talk to me in a few years.."

"I know, i'm sorry."

"I'll look after Ruby, i promise." Francis said. "She's such a beautiful soul, just like you,"

"She was so young, mum..she was just a little girl. This family's..fucking cursed. You died because of dad, then he killed Reg and then Grace died. Now fucking Ruby" Delilah covered her eyes, refusing to let tears fall. "Oh my god and Polly and John.."

Francis looked at her sadly. "There's going to be a war, my girl. Somebody is going to die. I just don't know who"

"What..what do you mean," and just as Delilah blinked, Francis went away again. "No, mum, what do you mean," she stood, looking around.

"Fuck," she shouted, throwing the glass picture frame on her desk at the wall.