22

Polly walked into the house, freezing when everyone looked at her, clapping.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" she asked. "Happy birthday Pol" Lilah sighed, closing the book she was reading. Tommy stepped forward.

"When did you get back" she asked. "Didn't want to miss your birthday Pol" he placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Back to work" Arthur told the other men.

"How do you know it's my birthday" Polly asked Tommy. "Nobody ever knows"

"It's different this year" Tom nodded, "John, Finn, bring the car around" he told his brothers. "I'm staying here" Lilah sighed,

"Where we going"

"To unwrap your birthday present" Tom took her outside.

They all climbed into the car.

Polly's eyes widened as they pulled up to a row of houses that were much nicer than the ones on Watery Lane. Tommy helped Polly out the car and she looked up, shielding her eyes from the sun.

"Good morning" Arthur shouted at the man beside them on the other houses' grass.

The door opened and they walked in, revealing a large house.

"You said you were going to buy Ada a house" Polly said looking around. "Yep that's right, i did, just had a bit of cash left over"

"A bit of cash?" Finn scoffed.

"This is ours?" Polly asked, Tommy shook his head. "No, polly, this is yours"

"Because you deserve it"

Polly looked over at the rest of them and John smiled. "What would i do with all these rooms?" she asked.

"Well you could, uh, relax for one. Come here at weekends, it has a garden, eh, you love gardens" he pulled back the curtain.

"You can grow roses Pol" Arthur suggested.

"Have people round, have a sing-song, eh?" Tommy said. "God help the bloody neighbours" John whispered. "Fuck the neighbours" Arthur said, handing Polly the keys. "Welcome home, Pol."

Polly sat in the chair, looking down.

Tommy cleared his throat. "Arthur why don't you take them outside, wait by the car" he nodded toward the younger Shelby's.

They all left the house, pushing each other around.

"Pol," Tom started, "i know you haven't been happy for a while, and i know why" he stepped in front of her.

Her eyes widened, looking up.

"Esme is all right, you know" he sat opposite her. "She's got a good heart, she has. I have spoken to her and she told me"

"Told you what"

"She told me what it is that would make you happy" he nodded. "I've spoken to our contacts in the police, they have contacts in the council"

"And they have contacts with the people who keep the parish records"

Polly nodded along, trying to understand.

"Records of adoption" he said, "and of confidential forced removals. Now with your permission, i'd like to grease a few palms, and take a look at the records they never showed you"

Her eyes glossed over slightly.

"Pol, i am going to find your son and daughter" he assured her. "And i'm gonna bring them home"

A small smile appeared on her face at his words.

"That's what this house is for" he said. "So that you can bring your family home where they belong"

She grabbed his hands. "We're moving up, Pol"

-

Ada pulled Karl along slightly as they walked to the house that Tommy had given her keys to.

She looked up at it.

As she opened the door, Karl ran inside laughing. "Go have a look what you think" she said, admiring the house.

Ada smiled at the boy.

"Can you hear that?" she asked, "Silence at last"

"And it belongs to us"

"Mummy" Karl shouted, rambling slightly. She smiled brightly, following the boy. "What's in there?" she asked.

-

"Hello?" Delilah asked as she heard the door close. "Only me" Reggie said, hanging his jacket and hat on the hook. She relaxed, looking back at her book.

"This is Isaiah" He pointed to the attractive boy behind him. "Hello, Isaiah, i'm Delilah" she smiled, holding her hand out. "Tommy's daughter" he nodded, shaking her hand. "Unfortunately" she joked slightly, closing the book.

"What brings you two here?" she asked. "Well, we were bored and Luke's currently on house arrest" Reggie nodded, placing his hands on her shoulders and standing behind her.

"That explains why i've not seen him in so long" she chuckled.

"Isaiah, your dad isn't the preacher, is he?" she looked at the boy. He nodded. "I knew i recognised you" she sighed.

The boy chucked, taking his peaky hat from off his head.

"Where's everyone else?" Reggie asked, sitting down. "They've went to do something for Polly's birthday" she sighed. "Didn't feel like going with" 

"Let's go for some drinks" Isiah suggested, his accent thick. She checked her pocket watch. "I suppose we have time"

"You're not even legal to drink, Lilah" Reggie frowned. "Reg, when has that ever stopped me or anyone?" she asked. He smiled and threw his arm around her. "Let's go then"

-

They walked into the Marquis of Lorne, Isiahs eyes following the woman that walked past. "Why not the Garrison?" he asked the girl. "Felt like going somewhere else" she shrugged.

"Three whiskeys" Isiah said to the man. The man nodded, pouring three glasses. "Is she legal to drink?" he asked before handing her it. "She's Tommy Shelby's daughter, does it matter?" Isiah asked.

The man kept his head down, sliding her the glass.

"Names good for something then" she sighed.