30

Tommy stormed into the church where Inspector Campbell sat. "We had a fucking deal" he shouted.

"I would think you would moderate your language in a place of worship"

Tommy snatched the newspaper from his hand, throwing it to the floor. "We had a fucking deal" he repeated. "Mr Shelby, if you've read the papers you might of seen that the home secretary has gotten himself into a bit of a fizz about certain moral issues"

"Prostitution, protection, racketeering, drinking, cocaine and of course, gambling" Campbell sat forward. "And he has demanded results"

"You offered me protection, you promised me protection" Tommy pointed.

"Well, no you see that was Mr Churchill, that made you that promise. And the Home secretary outranks him, so..and i can hardly be blamed if your demented brother decided to go on some sort of blood orgy during dinner"

"Don't you lie to me. Don't sit here in your fucking church and lie to me!" Tommy shouted.

"You will need to contain your emotions or this meeting is at an end"

Tommy stepped away. "Good. That's better. So, let us review the new situation. I have your brother in a prison cell, charged with the murder of Billy Kitchen. The case against him is strong and i have no doubt that his destiny is to hang"

"And then there is Polly's kid, Micheal-"

Tommy let out an angry breath.

"Micheal has already admitted to helping Arthur burn down the Marquis pub, he was a tough nut to crack but crack he did."

"So i have your brother facing the noose, i have your cousin Micheal facing five years for arson and i have your entire organisation in disarray in Birmingham and in London"

"What do you want?" Tommy asked. "What do i want?" Inspector raised his eyebrows. "I don't understand"

"I already agreed to do your fucking killing for you, now what is it you want from me?" he asked.

Inspector Campbell got on his feet.

"An agreement is not the same thing as an assurance now is it?" he questioned.
"You see,  i found i wasn't sleeping so well, it wasn't just the smell and the noise in that room, no it was the nagging doubt of knowledge. The knowledge that Tommy Shelby's is not afraid to die. And therefore the threat to your own life might not be enough to make it certain that you will obey me on the given day"

"I also need the power of life and death over your family. And that i now have"

-

Everyone sat in the betting den patiently when Tommy walked in, slamming the door. "John?" he asked.

"The coppers have lifted ten of our men in Camden Town, the rest are on the run"

Polly stood up, walking over. "They've take Micheal"

"Business first"

"They took Micheal . They fucking took him" she argued. "Polly business first" he shouted. "John?"

"They took all out whiskey, so no doubt they'll be sipping that for Christmas. They've impounded all out vans, put their own locks on the warehouse. The eden club and all our pubs have been raided by the coppers, and handed back to Sabini and Solomons"

"The black country boys think it was Arthur who killed Billy cause that's what the coppers told them"

"I don't give a fuck about whiskey, i don't care about Billy Kitchen, i want my kid out of prison, now!" She shouted.

"Thomas i spoke to Johnny dogs" Esme said,

"This meeting should just be family" Polly said. "I can help"

"She's not blood Tommy"

"Let her speak"

"Polly stop" Delilah urged. "She's family," she defended.

"Or is this business-" he raised his hand. "Enough" he shouted. "Esme,"

"I spoke to Johnny Dogs, the lees are kin" she continued. "The bloody lees?" Polly asked. "They can give us men"

"We don't need more fucking men, it was men that have done the damage! It is men fighting like fucking cockerels that's have put us here in the first place"

"Esme we'll take up their offer, we need men."

"If Micheal ever gets out of prison, i am taking him far away from this family"

-

Polly paced outside the prison, waiting for Micheal to be released. The day prior, Polly had made a deal with Inspector Campbell to get them out. Well, it was hardly a deal, it was more Polly getting herself in a situation and not being able to escape it.

The door opened and Micheal walked out, looking down. He had cuts on his face. He got out a cigarette, lighting it. Polly watched in sadness as he stood. Micheal walked to her.

"You need cream on those cuts or they'll get infected" She said to Micheal, touching his face. "The screws told us why we'd been freed" he said coldly.

"They told me what you did" Polly looked away, teary eyed. "They thought it was funny. Maybe it is"

Polly watched as he walked away, a horrible feeling washing over her. She'd slept with Chester Campbell to get her boy out. She didn't want to. But she did. All for Micheal.

-

"Delilah," Tommy knocked on the door. "Yeah?" she said, closing her book.

He sat on the edge of her bed. "Tomorrow, you have a choice of joining me at the Epsom Derby with the other blinders, where we will take the whole fucking thing"

She tilted her head, grinning. "Take it?"

"Burn all the bookies licenses, Lilah, Sabini's days will be done" he said, placing a hand on her knee. "But, a lot will happen,"

She shook her head. "I want to come" she assured him.