42

"Who the hell are you? What do you want with me?" the man asked as Tommy entered the cell.

"You've been passing information about a robbery at the Lanchester factory in Sparkbrook."

"Are you Tommy Shelby?" he asked.

"I need to know the name of the person in the organisation that was giving you information." Tommy spoke. "What organisation?"

"The Economic League, the Vigilance Committee, the Odd Fellows, Section D. They have many fսck¡ng names."

"Shit, shit, shit." the man whispered.  "Give me the name of the informant."

"Mr Shelby, they are very, very dangerous people." he shook his head.

"Oh. Hmm. Well, fortunately, so are we. You have to choose who you're more afraid of. The Peaky Blinders at exactly 11:43, or Section D at some point in the future. If you make the wrong choice, you won't see 11:44." He said, leaning forward.

-

"Do they always have to do the stock taking at night, Arthur?" Linda asked, walking through the bathroom. "Only 'cause, you know, it slows down production." he said, she handed him a towel. "Thank you. Thank you." he stepped to the mirror.

"Night work will have to end."

"It will. It will."

"You'll have things to do at night." she said quietly.  "Yeah. I know. We've spoken about it."

"I was gonna wait until you had a strong cup of tea in your hand." she started. "Come on, then." he shrugged. 

"But I'm gonna have a baby, Arthur." he stepped back into the bathroom.

"Pregnant?" he asked after moments of silence. "Yeah. You said you spent the night taking stock. Well, so did I. This working at night will have to stop." she whispered.

"You'll have a baby." he smiled. "Yes."

-

"It's not fair" Esme sighed. "They're off drinking and shooting rifles and we sit here" she said. "Listen to the mugs swearing"

"Spitting on the bloody floor for us to fucking wipe up" she shouted. Lizzie looked up at her. "Without women here, they'd be like dogs pissing up the wall"

"I was just saying it's not fair" Esme said as Polly walked through. "The men are down there like lords,"

"Esme, just get on with it" Polly shook her head. "I'm bloody five months gone" Esme shouted.

"Forgot the combination" Polly sighed. "24-8-22" Lizzie told her. "How do you know the paper cash combination" Polly asked. "Tommy talks in his sleep" Esme says.

"Shut up Esme" Lizzie sighed.

"He's changed the combination" Lizzie threw the pen down. "You've put it in wrong"

"No i have not"

"And actually, i am sleeping with Tommy, now and then. Because he wants to when the mood takes him" Lizzie told them.

"None of its fucking fair" Esme repeated.

Suddenly there was a bang on the door. Polly went to open it, revealing Linda. She placed her hat down. "Arthur said you'd be short staffed today because they are on a works outing"

"I brought sandwiches and lemonade i made myself" Linda placed the basket down.

"I'll make tea and empty ashtrays but i won't handle money or slips" she nodded.  "Arthur says what you do here is illegal but not immoral"

"Depends what time you get here Linda" Esme sighs. "And anyway i thought i'd offer you my physical and spiritual support in your time of need"

"Oh Linda if you want to be a help, run up to the shops and get me twenty senior service" Polly asked. "Lizzie will give you the change" she chuckled.

"No i won't"

"Actually i'll use my own money, Polly. And before you ladies decide to find me so amusing, i have a message for you"

"Oh god no Linda" Polly grabbed her head. "I've been to church already"

"It's not a message from God, Polly. It's from Jessie Eden"

"Who's Jessie Eden?"

"She's the lady shop steward at the Lucas factory in Sparkhill."

"Lady shop steward?" Esme asked. "She's bringing all the femal workers in the spot welding and wire cutting shops  out on strike for the day. A protest at being made to work on a holy day. Poor conditions, lack of holidays, unsanitary lavatory provisions"

"And lower pay for female workers"

-

Delilah sat in her old bedroom inside the house on Watery Lane beside Isiah whilst the women worked in the den. "How's your dad holding up?" he asked, pushing her hair out of her face. "I'm not sure, can't read him" she shrugged.

"Okay then, how are you?"

Lilah shrugged, playing with the hem of her dress. "I'm okay, i think. But it's playing on my mind about how what i told you on my birthday ended up being true..is that not...weird?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Yeah..a bit"

"He just doesn't let us in, doesn't let anybody help him. It's as if he thinks he'll break if someone touches him."