33

Tommy walked through the betting den, looking at everyone and signalling for them to leave him alone with Delilah. "What's wrong?" she asked.

He sat down. "I want to apologise to you, before i tell you. I know that we have just fixed everything and it's just gone back to normal" his eyes fixed on the table.

"But?" she asked.

"But the other week, me and Grace met up, had a couple of drinks" he began. Delilah scoffed. "She was at the races yesterday, Lilah and she told me something"

"What? Did you get her pregnant?" she joked. Tommy looked at her and her face slowly dropped. "Did you get her pregnant?" she whispered.

"Delilah i'm sorry" he said.

She bit her tongue, throwing her head back. "So what happens now? Is this where you forget about me? Start a family with her? Forget about me an mum"

"No" he stopped her. "That won't happen, i promise,"

"You promise?" Delilah raised her eyebrows. "When do you ever keep promises?"

"Delilah, please"

"I'm not going to argue with you, because mum speaks to me too. And i know she comes to see you as well as me. And she told me that holding onto something that can't hold on back, is the worst form of torture you can give yourself. I'm not necessarily happy about what you've done, but there is no point in me fighting you, because nothing will change, the damage is done, right?" she asked, "maybe it's time we moved on."

He was slightly surprised by her reaction and her suggestion of moving on. But he didn't argue against it. It relieved him that she'd remained calm and not lashed out.

"But really, dad, what happens now"

He placed his hand over hers. "I'm going to buy us a big fucking house, yeah? You can have a stable for your horse, an a big fucking bedroom. Fuck, Lilah, we can have maids" he let out a laugh. "One promise i have kept, my girl, is that i would take you with me when we moved up in the world" he whispered. "And here we are"

"But whenever this baby arrives, you'll still remain my top priority, you'll still remain my daughter"

-

"Isiah" Delilah greeted as he sat beside her in a booth of the Garrison. "Any specific reason you wanted to go out?" he asked.

She shrugged. "My dad got that old barmaid pregnant"

"And how do you feel about that?"

"I'm not sure. I'm not angry, but i'm not happy. I'm..im a bit scared, Siah, for what could happen. What could change"

He nodded along. "He said we're going to move into a big house"

"Is this where you become too grand to be around me?" he teased. She shoved him away, smiling. "I would never" she said, tapping her fingers on the table.

Isiah looked at her longingly, trying to hide his smile as she rambled on about how she felt about the situation. Isiah knew that it was wrong to try and start something with her due to the fact she'd not long ago lost her boyfriend. He wanted to wait until she was somewhat ready or 'over it' before he even showed how he felt towards her. He didn't want to accidentally pressure her into thinking she felt the same way just to regret it from guilt.

-

"Oi, Lilah" John stopped her as she walked through the house. She turned to him. "How you feeling about having to move in with Grace?" he asked. Delilah shrugged. "Suppose i have to just deal with it," she said.

"What you gonna say to her?" he questions, hoping she'd tell him that she was going to say horrible things to Grace.

"I'll have a civil conversation with her, i won't forgive her. But i'm willing to try make things work with her. For my fathers sake"

John threw his head back in annoyance.

She ignored him and walked out to the car. Tommy smiled, opening the door for her. "Let's go to the new house" she grinned.

-

Her eyes widened as they pulled up the the ridiculously large house. "Fucking hell" she whispered. "Language!" he scolded.

"Sorry," she whispered.

The car came to a stop and Delilah stepped out, excitedly. "Go on, go take a look. Pick your room or something" he said.

Delilah ran inside like a child on Christmas morning, looking inside the rooms. She gasped when she walked into the room with a window that looked out onto the field. "Dad" she shouted. He came in, leaning on the door frame. "You want this one" he asked, looking at her.

Lilah clasped her hands together, nodding.

-

Delilah watched from the stairs as Grace walked into the house alone. They locked eyes and Delilah sent her a warm smile. Grace was afraid of talking to her, understanding the girls disliking toward her.

"I don't bite" Delilah said, trying to ease the mood. Grace smiled slightly, stopping at the bottom of the stairs. "I know that you're pregnant and that i've got no say in what happens between you and my father, but i'm willing to try work with you and be civil" she said.

"I'm not saying i completely forgive you, but i'm also not saying what happened between you and my father before my mother died wasn't all your fault because it was his fault too."

"I'd like that, to be civil" Grace said, slightly mimicking Delilah's tone. Lilah nodded. "Good" she smiled.