79

"Daddy!" Ruby shouted as the car approached, Tommy smiled widely. The girl ran around the fountain, waiting. "Hello, Ruby" he smiled as he got out of the car.

She ran into his arms. "Come here. Let me see you. I missed you, missed ya. That's the black madonna" he nodded, looking at the necklace around her neck.

"What presents did you get us dad?" Charlie ran up to him. He placed his arm around the two children. "Son." he smiled. "She's all better, Tommy. You came back for nothing" Lizzie said softly. He hugged her. "But i'm glad you're back"

"Hello dad" Delilah stood, wrapping her arms around him. "Hello, my girl. Where Madeline?" he asked, referring to the girl he hadn't seen since 3 years ago.

"She's with Isiah"

He nodded.

"Right before we do anything else, we're going to go out for a drive" he said to Ruby. "What about me?" Charles asked.

"Yeah, come on" he said, opening the door to the car.

"A drive where?" Lizzie asked. "I've asked the driver to take us to see Dr Robert. To have a look at Ruby" Tommy told her. "Why?" she frowned. "The appointment is in one hour. You can stay here or you can come"

"I'll stay," Delilah refused, standing beside the fountain.

Lizzie sighed, getting into the car.

-

They arrived at the Shelby Sanatorium for sick children and Tommy stood on the steps outside, holding onto the bar as he threw up.

"Tommy?" Lizzie came outside. "Yeah," he said quietly. "It was all good, everything was clear"

"That's a relief" he sighed, holding her arm. "Drivers bringing the car around"

Ruby banged on the glass. "Dad" she gleamed, the two waved at the girl. "Come here" Lizzie pulled him aside. "When did you last sleep?"

"Not much since we last spoke on the phone,"

"Now you know Ruby is all clear you can sleep" she nodded. "Yeah. Lizzie i'm very happy that Ruby's results were clear-"

"But still you won't sleep."

"I will speak to Johnny and i will speak to Esmeralda," Lizzie stepped away, looking up, "we could be on holiday," she said. "We could be up a mountain in America."

"That wouldn't have been possible" Tommy interrupted. "The man i'm dealing with, he's coming to London. I need to be there."

"No escape" she scoffed.

"We will escape, Lizzie. One last deal to be done. It'll be difficult but difficulties are to be expected. This is why i must move from item to item"

Lizzie grabbed his hand. "Do you feel that, do you feel anything? You know you talk as if you're watching everything on a screen."

"When we go home..when we go home, we'll give the kids to Frances, and then you and me will go to bed." He held her face. "And i will be the next item" she whispered. He dropped his hand. "That's how it feels now, Tommy"

He sighed. "Yeah."

"Everything on a list."

Their eyes diverted to Ruby who stood at the door. "Hey, baby" Lizzie went to her. "When are we going home?" the girl asked.

-

Lizzie shot up, opening her eyes. She reached for her gun then placed it down. "Tommy, Tommy" she shouted, rushing to the bathroom.

Her eyes widened when she saw him on the floor having some sort of seizure. The water from the bath was overflowing.

"Tommy, tom what's happened" she asked in a panic, reaching beside him. "Oh fuck, fuck" she whispered, turning the water off. "Come here, what's happened" she pulled him close. "Tommy" she said as he stopped. "Love," she touched his face.

-

She soaked a piece of cotton in rubbing alcohol, placing it on the cuts on Tommys back. He hissed in pain.

"It is four years, one month and six days since i had a drink" he said. "My head is clear. I am myself."

"Is this the first time?" she asked.

"Once on the ship back, not as bad"

"Tommy. You need to see a doctor" she touched his shoulder. "I have work to do" was all he said. Lizzie scoffed. "It's the work that's to blame. People you meet, lies you tell"

"I've got to keep going until this Boston business is done. Then we rest. Then we peaky blinders fucking rest"

-

Gina unlocked the door that seperated her and Micheal.

"Johnny?" he asked. She slammed the door. "Only me today" she said. "Jack says a few more weeks, and you'll be free"

He stood. "When do you travel to London?" he asked. As he stepped forward, she closed the door over. "Tomorrow. I came to say goodbye" she said, sitting on the table.

Micheal lit a cigarette.

"When you go to London, stay away from the Devil. Block your fucking ears if you have to" he sighed.

"I'll be with you, Micheal" Gina spoke. "I've been thinking about you" she removed her coat. "Only you," she leaned back. "And don't worry about Tommy Shelby, i have no interest in a dead man. Jack says yes to die"

"Well you tell Jack to wait. If anyone's going to kill Tommy Shelby-"

"It'll be you" she finished his sentence. "I know, i told Jack. And jack said okay let the kid do it. And in return he can collect the cash that Tommy won't. Five million dollars. The devil will be dead. The future belongs to us. Oh and Micheal, every night, midnight in Boston 5 am in London, i'll be wide awake in my big wide bed, and you'll be wide awake in this prison cell. And our souls will come together and we'll fuck. I won't need an alarm clock. And you won't sleep till i'm done"

"Midnight fucks 5 am" Micheal said.

"Every day," she nodded, "because we trust each other, hm?"