84

Delilah held Charles hand as they walked behind the black carriage that held Ruby. They walked through to Charlie's Yard.

The carriage stopped and they all gathered in front of it. Isiah placed an arm around her shoulder as she pushed back the tears. Charles walked over, placing a red rose on the wagon.

They watched as men carried the casket into the wagon.

She looked over at Arthur who stood beside Jeremiah, breaking down by the second.

Tommy pulled out a piece of paper, unfolding it. "Arthur. I've written some words. I can't speak them..you're the oldest. You speak them for me"

Arthur cried, shaking his head. "I'm sorry brother, i can't do it."

Tommy stepped back, walking to the wagon and staring at it for a few seconds. "We could've afforded a golden carriage..she deserved a golden carriage. But we didn't afford ourselves that luxury. Because gold doesn't work. That was the last lesson that Ruby taught us. This place was her favourite place in the whole world. And she used to say, "Dad..you never know what's going to come down the river" and it's true. Cause little Ruby's fate came a thousand miles too soon. But in her name and in her memory, things will change. And whatever comes down that river from now on. We will make good..we will make peaceful and honest and good and send it back down the river better than it was. In her memory, we will do this."

He looked down, sniffing. "But for now, we send her on. To wherever it is you go in the hope that if there is a destination that it's a yard like this with horses and boats for her to play on." he turns, looking at the floor.

Charlie held his shoulder, holding the bottle of gasoline. "I've got the petrol, who will light the flame,"

"Jeremiah," he said. Lizzie watched carefully. "Jeremiah, you made her laugh, you light the flame"

"No! No" Lizzie screamed, running forward. "Lizzie"

"You won't burn her, no" she cried. Tommy held her. "I just want to see my baby." she cried. "We'll go and see her together" he whispered, holding her as they walked up the steps.

Delilah stepped forward, standing with her younger brother.

"The devils who did this will pay, Ruby" Tommy whispered. Lizzie looked up at him. "Tommy what do you mean? What do you mean?" she watched him walk out. "Where are you going?"

He walked out, walking toward the exit of the yard. Lizzie ran after him and Charles grabbed him, hugging him. They watched as the wagon went up in flames. Lizzie sobbed harder, holding Tommy.

He hugged Delilah tightly as if she'd disappear just as quick as Ruby.

Tommy held her face before ripping his hand away from her and walking off.

Lizzie shouted after him.

"Dad where are you going," Delilah screamed, her face wet with tears. "Dad" her voice cracked.

-

Tommy walked through the forest, looking at the camp. A woman stood. "Riley i think the police are here," she said. "Evadne Barwell?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah, who's asking?"

He pulled his gun. "I'm here on behalf of the blue sapphire," he said, firing multiple bullets into the woman and any of the men who tried shooting him.

"Don't shoot, there are babies" a woman shouted. The rest of the people ran off.

The woman who Tommy had killed, set a curse for Ruby after her own daughter died of the curse of the blue sapphire she'd been gifted once Grace had died wearing it.

Tommy held onto a tree, tears escaping his eyes. He smashed the gun against it.

-

Tommy stopped outside of Esmes camp again and allowed her to get inside the car. He handed her the bag. "Gold dust, our business is done, Esme"

When Esme agreed to help Tommy, she told him that he needed to pay her in gold dust, not money.

"Get out of the car," he said. "Not quite done, Tommy. Thought this would be a good time, in fact it's the perfect time," she looked out the window. "Some business is still unfinished. Christian's say "The Lord gives the Lord takes away." Our spirits are the same. Spirits just took away your child."

"Get out of the car Esme"

"The same spirits want to give you a different child, Tommy."

"What child?" he sighed.

"A daughter lost, a son found" she looked at the boy who walked around. "Before you went to France a long time ago, at Appleby fair. You slept with a girl, her name was Zelda, i met her. She said you slept together under a hazel tree in May 1914. When she fell pregnant her father threatened to kill you. But you'd already joined the army and gone away to France. You remember the girl in the hazel tree, don't you Tommy"

"Whoever that boy is, Esme, whoever he is our business is done."

"I brought you to this camp for a reason. And i brought him as well. He is yours, a boy born with hazel eyes, calls himself Duke. Mother is dead, he's a thief. Works the fairground but says he wants more to life than big wheels and carousel. If the losing of Ruby has left a hold in your heart, i'll send him to you. If you give me a bit more gold. I'll tell him Tommy Shelby can offer a man far more than big wheels and carousels"

Tommy swallowed hard. "Is our business done or not, Tommy?"