36

Delilah opened her eyes, hissing and holding her head as she sat up in her bed. She looked over, a loud laugh leaving her mouth as she saw Isiah asleep on her floor. She picked up her glass of water, pouring it onto his forehead. He sat up with a gasp, looking around.

"Why the fuck did you do that?" he asked, wiping his forehead.

"Why the fuck are you on my floor?"

"You, Delilah got pissed out of your mind last night and your dad told me to take you to your room, and i must've fell asleep," he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"And you slept on the floor?"

"I'm not having Thomas Shelby catch me in bed with his daughter" Isiah scoffed, sitting on the bed.

Delilah pushed her foot forward, kicking him off the bed. "Fuck" he shouted as he tumbled to the floor. "Delilah, i swear.." he muttered, holding his head.

-

Tommy checked his pocket watch, sitting across from the priest, Hughes. "So will it be just boys in your charitable institution or girls as well" the irish man asked.

"Both"

"You must divide them" the priest told him. "You know how the little creatures can get"

"Where are your people? You said they'd be here by five" Thomas huffed.

"They are law unto themselves. You can never quite grasp who they are. Like gripping wet soap"

"I've done me research" Tommy tilted his head. "Perhaps you know them as the, uh, Economic League" Hughes suggested. "Only once did i get a letter from them headed 'the vigilance committee', which tips the hand a little"

Tommy clicked his tongue. "No" he shook his head.  "The name i've heard is Section D"

"That's what special branch calls them" he continued. "Business men, MP's, army officers"

"Yes, it will be fun to bring such men to a Gypsy scrapyard" Hughes mocked. Thomas scoffed. "You asked for privacy,"

"Since the election, the government has decided that we are the enemy" Hughes stated. "When all we are trying to do is save the country from revolution"

"Are you political Mr Shelby? Because these Odd Fellows believe that the time is coming soon when everyone must choose a side."

"Are your people coming or are they not" Thomas asked, frustrated.

"Mr Shelby, you will learn that these men are far too grand" He laughed, "For the clock to govern them"

"You'll get used to meeting in the small hours of the morning. They're like monks"

Tommy avoided his gaze.

"So when is your charitable institute opening?" he asked. "When i fucking say" Tommy nodded.

"Well, i'll stop by from time to time. To hear confession from the little creatures." The priest nodded. "You'll meet Mr Patrick Jarvis, MP. He'll probably want to become a trustee. It's just his thing, to drop by in the evenings after a few drinks"

"We'll make it a formal arrangement as a bigger part of the deal between us, i will have an office there"

Tommy cleared his throat, standing up and placing a chair facing away from him. "My god, some devil gets into you doesnt it boy" Hughes mocked.

"Mr Shelby, if i want to play the squire in your place of false charity, then i will. Ambition for respectability doesn't make you a saint. Am i wrong?"

A bell tolled, interrupting him.

"Oh lord, that's 6.00 is it?" Hughes sat forward. "Well, i wish you a good day"

"Where the fuck are you going?" Tommy questioned, stopping him in his tracks. "Did i not make it clear? They said if they weren't here by morning prayers, then the meeting has been canceled"

"Perhaps Mr Jarvis has been held up at the house of commons. Perhaps a admiral Halls been held up at the house of lords. Am i impressing you?"

"Or perhaps they have decided they don't care for doing business with Gypsys in scrap metal yards, which would be a poor outcome for you"

"You give then my message from me, Priest" Tommy looked down. "You tell them i've been to the factories, and the armoured vehicles are in good condition."

"How many?" Hughes asked. "Twenty Seven"

"And the foreman is ours"

"This is someone you'll meet, today at the Ritz" he handed Thomas a piece of paper. "I have meetings today"

"You have one meeting, this one" he corrected. "In London, so you'd best catch the milk train"

Tommy sat in silence as the man walked away, his blood boiling.