83

Delilah stood at the end of Isiah's desk, staring at the paper on the desk. Ada walked in. "Mickey, i've gotta go, the boss's sister is here" he spoke over the phone.

"For the next five days, i'm not the boss's sister, i'm the boss. Where is Arthur?" Ada spoke, pacing the room. "We locked him in the cash safe. When he gets the yamps really bad, he tells us to lock him in the safe" Isiah said. "To stop him from slipping down to China Town."

"What are the yamps?" Ada asked.

"When you lose your head. When you can't control yourself. Young people say it" Isiah folded his arms. Ada hummed, glancing at Florence. "Arthur gets them a lot?"

"A lot is twice a day, Arthur gets them three times a day,"

Ada pulled out a perfume, spraying it. "It smells in here" she said, watching as Florence pulled a confused face. "Arthur sleeps on the floor. We lock him in at night," he continued.

"On your feet" she said.

Isiah frowned, standing and letting Ada take his seat. "Sit down," Ada ordered.

"Nice perfume," he complimented. "Tommy likes you, Isiah," Ada said, holding a piece of paper.

"I believe i'm suited for this life."

"I'm not so sure about you" she sat.

"I was given to understand that you were no longer part of the company." He said, lightings a cigarette.

Ada scoffed. "You speak well,"

"I was going to be an accountant. But everybody said i would be wasted counting money. Instead of stealing it. What's the name of that perfume?"

Delilah kissed her teeth, walking out of the room.

"I want you to go to Liverpool" Ada said. "Well then, i will go to liverpool?"

"We have opium in storage at the Salthouse docks. Word got out among the dock workers, they started stealing cupfuls, now it's by the bucket."

"By the bucket? The audacity of it."

"The sale of the stolen opium is being organised by a union convener called Hayden Stagg. In the envelope you'll find details of where to find him, and what to do to him when you do"

"There's no black star on the envelope" Isiah noticed.

"I decided not."

"You decided?" he asked, smirking. "The name of the perfume is 'know your fucking place,' soldier. I decided he'll just take a beating" she said as the telephone rang. She picked it up, placing it back down again. "And also, you're going to take Arthur with you."

"Arthur? Ten days clean, i'm gonna take him into a warehouse full of fucking opium?"

"Can be your job to look after him."

"Why take him at all?"

"It's his reputation you're taking. The beating can be conducted in a civilised way. No one would dare fuck with Arthur Shelby."

"But they would fuck with me?"

"Yes" she said bluntly. "He is Arthur Shelby. You're Isiah..who?"

"I'm just Isiah," he shrugged. "Who is keen to learn, Ada."

"Keep him clean. Deal with Hayden Stagg, bring Arthur back in one piece and in return i won't tell Tommy that you're laying private bets on races we have fixed." Ada lit the paper on fire.

"Just trying to make a few extra pennies" he excused. "You are married to the most trusted member of this company and you think you need to make a few extra pennies?" she scoffed.

He nodded slowly, heading for the door.

Isiah walked out, looking at Delilah who had worry painted all over her face. "I need to go to the hospital"

-

"Lizzie!" Delilah ran up the steps of the hospital, pushing the door open and looking at Lizzie. "Where is she, what's happened"

"She's gone, Delilah"

Delilah felt as if her heart had stopped. "Five minutes ago, she's gone. She was talking about you, said she couldn't wait for you to take her out on that fucking horse" her voice croaked.

Delilah grew light headed and held onto the wall as her knees grew weak. She slowly slid down the wall, a tear rolling down her face.

Lizzie walked over, also crying and pulled her to her feet, allowing Delilah to collapse into her arms.

-

Lizzie sat, distraught in the dark hospital beside Delilah as it poured with rain. She watched as car lights approached. She stood, rushing out. "Lizzie," Tommy shouted. "Where the fuck where you?" she shouted, her voice cracking. "Where were you? Where the fuck were you?"

Tommy froze, taking off his wet hat as the rain soaked his clothes, looking at his wife and daughter who stood, sobbing.

"She's gone Tommy," Lizzie sobbed. Tommy slowly walked up the steps. "She's gone. Just now, 5:17. You weren't fucking near here!"

Tommys breath was shaky.

"Were you? Were you? It was before then and she was here and then she was gone. Now she's gone to where they've put the dead. They've put her with the dead people..." Lizzie held onto the door for support. "She was asking just now for you, but went. 5.17. I told her that you love.." she paused, a lump in her throat. "I gave her your kiss goodbye."

Tommys heart sank as Lizzie fell the the floor, sobbing. He couldn't believe that his daughter, his little Ruby. Had died. And she and Lizzie had to do it alone. He felt an excruciating pain in his chest, he felt guilty. He wasn't there to say goodbye to her.

"Dad say something," Delilah begged, walking down the steps. She grabbed the sides of his coat. "Please say something"