64

Tommy walked through his house and round to the stable where Charles sat alone. He sat beside him, clearing his throat. Charlie stood up, looking at his father. "He said its God's will," he said. "But you're not God!" the boy shouted, turning away and storming from the stables. "No" Tommy sighed, pulling out his cigarettes, "No, im not God, not yet"

-

Mr Levitt walked through his apartment complex and stepped into the elevator, pressing the button. He lifted his head when he heard footsteps, a gasp leaving his mouth when he saw multiple men with guns. Seconds later they fired, sending him to the floor, blood splattering everywhere.

-

Thomas frowned, walking to the window and pulling back the curtain. He quickly rushed through the house, grabbing his rifle and walking out to the field. The phone began ringing.

Tommy pushed the gate open, walking along the mud and toward the wooden cross which held a scarecrow with a piece of paper reading "Thomas Shelby, O.B.E" he opened the paper "Look down on Earth and see the seeds you have sown"

He looked up, then to the floor. His heart sank as he saw the landmine centimetres away from his feet. A pocket watch hung from the scarecrows neck.

Tommy cautiously moved his feet, attempting to go back the way he had came, avoiding the multiple land mines. He kneeled down, examining it.

Charlie ran to the gate, pushing it. "Dad, theres a phone call for you" he shouted, running up the field. "Dad, theres a phone call for you" he repeated, Tommys head shot up as he dropped the gun and ran as fast as he could toward the direction his boy was coming from. "Charlie, charlie, wait!"

The boy ran to him and Tommy lifted him up, taking him away from the field. "Giddy up, horsey! Giddy up" Charlie laughed. He held Charles' head, placing him on the floor. "Dad theres a phone call for ya"

"Good boy, good boy, you go back to the house and whoever is calling, the operator will have their number and i'll call them back, eh? Oh look, Charlie, you must have violin practice, its Mrs Milligan, go on"

Charles made his way back toward the house and Thomas let out a breath.

"Charlie, you play loudly, you might hear some bangs. Go on" he shouted.

-

"Maggie," Tommy spoke into the phone. "Yes Mr Shelby," the woman on the other line responded. "I just missed a call, where was it from?" he asked. "Er, Belfast."

"Belfast?" he asked. "Where in Belfast?" He breathed heavily. "I'm not sure" she said quietly. "Do you have the number?" Tommy questioned. "Yes. It's 0-8-24" he picked up a pen, writing the numbers down. "Yeah can you put me through?"

Static noises came from the phone as the call got transferred.

"Tommy dont believe-" Micheal began speaking. Tommy frowned. "Mr Shelby" A woman began. "My name is Captain Swing, calling from the occupied six countries. And there are some people from the other side of our neat little city that want you dead. You should also know that this boy, this Micheal, your kin, was in his cabin aboard the SS Monroe in Belfast dock, making deals with the very men who want you dead."

"Tommy, they're lying," Micheal interrupted.

"Now if you want, we can put a bullet in his head, here and now, or we can send him home and you can deal with him"

Tommy held his head. "Send him home," he told her. "Very well, Mr Shelby. But be informed that this kin of yours was talking to representatives from the County Tyrone and Glasgow UVF about how they divide up the English race tracks after they'd blown away your legs."

"Tommy, they're lying," Micheal shouted.

"And may I ask why you are doing me this favour?" Tommy asked. "Because, Mr Shelby, we've been informed by people at the very highest level, that since your conversion to socialism, you're now on the side of the angels. And angels can be useful to us." she said before placing the phone down.

Tommy slammed the phone down, sighing.

Francis knocked on the door. "Come," he said, staring out the window with a cigarette in between his fingers, "Mr Shelby, the violin teacher wants to know what all those bangs where."

"Fireworks, i was trying them out for Saturday," he lied. "You promised the doctor not until after dark," she reminded him. Tommy sighed. "Its pretty dark Francis."

"Also, will Mrs Shelby and Ruby be home for dinner tonight?" she asked. "I dont know" he said quietly. Francis looked toward the door. "Dad"  Charlie spoke. "Ive learnt something this morning,"

"Have you?" Tommy asked. "So have i" he told the boy. "And what have you learnt, my boy?" he asked, sitting down. Charlie lifted his violin, playing it.