51

The man took off his hat, handing his ticket in. "Thanks" he nodded. Another man came after, placing his bag down. He gave in the ticket and waited for it to be stamped, walking away.

The last one came, kept his head down and gave in the ticket. "Take off the hat" The man behind the counter said.

He nodded, removing the hat.

"Are you with those other Italians?" he asked.

"We're Americans, says it right there in the paper" he pointed, a thick New York accent. "USA"

The other man nodded. "And what's the purpose of your visit"

"Pleasure" he smiled.

The man continued walking, a smug smile on his face.

-

"Mum, it's me" Micheal walked into Polly's house. "Left the door open" he told her. "To change the air" she nodded.

"I told you i was busy today what do you want"

He looked at the pile of letters. "Why haven't you opened your post?"

"Tidied up" she looked down. "Ada's coming today. She's late."

"Tommy asked about you today." Micheal told her. She looked at the fire. "I hope Ada's car hasn't broken down"

"Shelby Company Limited still using Bentleys?" she asked. Micheal nodded. "Bentleys are no good in the cold you should tell him."

"I will" he sighed. "Any other messages for tommy?"

"Yeah. Fuck off" she hissed. "He saw that your drain pipe was broken." Micheal said. "He's worried"

"Is that it?" she asked, "is that all he asked about, drainpipes?"

"No he said that i'm to accept that you have a gift. That you've always had a gift."

"What gift?"

"Second sight" he said. "Spirits, all that gypsy stuff. Said that i'm to believe you"

"You think i don't hear his voice in yours" she whispered. "You don't think i recognise his strategies? I'm still a match for him"

"Yes" Micheal nodded. "you are, and you still can be. Me and Lizzie decided, that this new year we're all to turn a page" he leaned forward.

She looked at him.

"You can't spend another year like this mum."

"Mum" she whispered. Polly stood. "Mum" she repeated. "Word is like a bullet to me" she placed a pill in her mouth.

"See your sister in that chair sometimes" she whispered.

"Look" he started. "Me and Lizzie decided it's time. I bought these" he held up two bottles of Champagne.

"One for you and Ada, one for you and me"

"So Tommy said keep her off the whiskey? I'll drink the champagne the day my son leaves the employment of Shelby Company Limited"

"You tell him that next time he mentions fucking drainpipes" she spat.

Micheal looked down.

-

"Right now this is your job, Charlie" Tommy said, handing the boy a plate of biscuits. "Wanna give this to Santa," he kneeled down beside the fire.

"Leave this out for Santa, that's whiskey" Tommy placed the glass down beside the plate.

"Now, night night. Merry Christmas" he kissed the boys head. "I'll see your tomorrow, sleep well" he smiled.

Tommy watched as his maid, Mary,  took Charlie away.

He carefully pulled the curtain back slightly before walking to the cupboard, pulling out a loaded gun.

He stood beside the window, looking at the car as it parked up, relaxing when he noticed it was Ada.

Tommy sighed, putting the gun down.

"Mr Shelby it's your sister"

"I know, send her in" He nodded. Ada came in, a sack of presents. "I've had a card, Ada. I'm guessing Arthur and John had one as well"

"Hello, Tommy. Hello, Ada, welcome home" she shook her head. "Thanks it's nice to be back" she said, accepting her brothers hug.

"I've spoken to Moss. He says that Changretta is a soldier for the Spinietta family, which means he'll have men with him, professional men" Tommy said. "They usually operate in units of around ten"

"Moss is checking Cunard records to see if they're already in England"

Ada stood after placing the presents underneath the tree. "This one's for you" she said, handing him the box. "What is it? A time machine?" he asked, placing it on the table.

"My god, Tommy Shelby, is that regret?" she asked.

"I'll open if tomorrow" he said. "So boss, in light of the changed circumstances what are your orders?" she asked.

"Changretta knows where we all live, we stay out in the open, isolated he will pick us out one by one" Tommy sighed. "We need to be together in a place when they won't dare to come"

"You mean back home?" she raised her eyebrows.

"Within a four mile radius of the garrison, every man is a guard and a soldier for us. I'm calling a family meeting, Charlie's strong yard, boxing day"

"Finns already there. You tell Polly and Micheal, i'll deal with John, Arthur"

"And Esme and Linda?" she asked. "Anyone who wants to live to see another Christmas needs to come where it's safe. These bastards will kill kids as well" Tommy raised his voice.

"When this business is finished we can.. go our separate ways. Go and see Polly and explain. She'll have a card as well"

Ada walked round the desk. "Do you think i'm on the list?" she asked. "We're all on the list, Ada"

She sighed. "I gave my gun to Arthur"

He turned, taking a gun from the drawer and handing it to her. "Welcome home"