35

Polly approached the Russian man beside the door. "So what does he say?" he asked. "He won't meet you unless you give us the name" she said. "What name?"

"We were told to ask for a code name when contact was made"

"Constantine. The code is Constantine" he said quietly. She took a drag of her cigarette and walked away.

-

"Tommy said no racing, no gambling" Curly reminded John. "Yeah well he's changed his mind" he turned to Finn who had appeared beside him and grabbed his shoulders.

"Right. Don't worry Finn, okay?" he said. "Right" the boy chuckled. "Cavalry boys ride like a sack of stones, all right" he said, pulling his brother down and rubbing his head.

"John. John, there's an awful lot of Kings shillings around here today" Johnny stopped the two. "Now, out of loyalty to the regiment, they'll all be putting their money on this bad boy" he pointed to the dark horse.

"That i filled up with morphine and water" They both laughed and continued walking. "Here. Tommys all right if i, uh, do the book is he?"

"He said bettings okay but all proceeds go to the Shelby Foundation Charity" John nodded, turning the corner.

"Oh, is this charity for real, then?" Charlie asked. "He says he wants to be seen giving back to the poor of Birmingham" John nodded.

"So that'll be me, John" Johnny shouted. "Myself, if i can't earn a shilling here tonight"

"They'll make him the fucking Lord Mayor next" Charlie scoffed. "That's the idea Charlie Boy" John hummed, lighting a cigarette.

"Right, all you lot make as much noise and fuss as you can" he instructed to the other peaky boys.

Johnny helped Finn up on to the horse as John walked away, shouting at the Cavalry men to place their bets.

-

John blew smoke from his cigar, watching the Russian man join him and Arthur. "Oh you found it" Arthur said. "We nearly give up"

The man placed his arms to the side, waiting for one of them to search him.

"Did he tell you what my business with him is?" he asked as Arthur stepped forward, searching his pockets. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes and sniffed them, pulling a face. "The same shit the Turks used to smoke" he said, dropping them to the floor.

"I wonder, why does he trust his aunt more than his brothers?"

Johns head lifted at his words.

"Go and watch the race boys" Tommy said, standing at the bottom of the hall. "The turks clean" Arthur told him. "I am Russian"

"Same fucking thing" he hissed.

The man walked to Tommy. "So you make contact on my wedding day?" he said. "You now have very powerful enemies" The man nodded. "At the soviet embassy and within your own government. You are being watched"

"At your house, your office, your clubs, your bars."

"You best be quick or i'll be missed. Now where's my money?" Tommy asked.

-

Delilah stood in the crowd of Blinders and Cavalry, watching as Isiah threw punches at the other boy. "Come on, Isiah" she shouted, clapping her hands together. She watched as the boy went down to the floor, holding his stomach. Isiah grinned widely, wiping his forehead and walking back toward the stable.