Chapter 60

UNEDITED

Longing, like a shadow, follows the path of the heart's desires, casting a bittersweet reminder of what could have been

********************************************************************************************

"Madre..." I called out, my emotions still running high from the confrontation with Ava. But my words were cut short when I noticed Madre gesturing for me to stop talking.

"I've been waiting for you to come here. I'm aware of what happened," she said, her demeanor surprisingly calm given the circumstances.

"You know something I don't, and I need you to tell me," I insisted, scanning the empty house, noticing the absence of the guards who were usually present.

"There's no one here. Your mother visited me this morning, but she's gone now," Madre informed me. After the incident, everyone had shifted back. Jordan had left, while Seira had stayed with Madre and Mark until Jordan could return to formally engage with her.

"I don't care about that right now. I need to know what you know, and I need to know it now." Madre seemed uneasy as she perched on a tall chair, her eyes avoiding mine.

"You might think we are your enemy but We're only keeping things from you to protect you," she said, her voice void of anger, filled instead with a sense of hopelessness.

"But is it too much to ask for you all to understand that I should have the right to decide for myself what's best and what's not?" I clung to the chair for support, feeling a sudden spasm of pain and tears welling up in my eyes. My resolve was crumbling, and I felt utterly defeated.

"Darling, you're putting yourself under too much stress. The whole point of all this was to avoid this kind of stress," Madre said, standing behind me and helping me pull out the chair as I sat down, exhaling loudly as another wave of pain hit me.

"What if I promise to tell you everything once we get to the hospital? I think we need to get you checked out now," her words echoed as pain once again overtook my senses, this time for the third time.

"These intervals between the pain... they don't seem right," I muttered, clenching my teeth in an attempt to endure the pain.

"You're exhausted and have pushed yourself too far. Let's go to the hospital. I'll call Mark," Madre said, preparing to leave. However, I stopped her in her tracks by gripping her hand firmly.

"Not until I know about Aiden," I insisted, my voice resolute.

"You and Aiden are the same, both incredibly stubborn," she sighed. "Alright, I promise. I'll tell you everything once we're done with our visit."

"I'm not naive, Madre. This pain is a clear sign that the baby is coming, and I know it. Don't put this off. Don't risk my life or your grandchild's because Aiden and I are stubborn. You're our mother, so you're stubborn too. I won't back down until you tell me," I stated firmly, determination locking my gaze.

"He's alive," she finally revealed, and a serene peace washed over me. For the first time in six months, I felt at ease, even as another wave of pain coursed through me.

"I knew it," I whispered, releasing her hand and cradling my belly. My child had a father.

"Did he really get shot that day, or was that a lie too?" I questioned with a hint of accusation.

"He did get shot, and that's why you're sitting here safely in front of me. If he hadn't received the call from Mark about the threat to you after you left the café, they would have killed you my child, and the baby you're carrying right now," Madre explained, tears streaming down her face as she relived the painful memory of my past, which I had no recollection of. She sank to the floor, clutching the legs of my chair for support.