Chapter 11 - PLAN

Leila Morrow

My mom was the only person that I looked up to. She's very intelligent, lovely, and the best mother that I could ever ask for. She taught me a lot of things, from how to treat people, how to always stand up for myself, and lastly, never bow to anyone.

Not to my family, not to my friends, and certainly not to any man.

When Ares told me to kneel and beg, I knew I would never do it. He was challenging me with something that I'd never do. Besides, I know by the end of the day, he will never return to my job.

"Ares!" Tatiana scolded him, but his eyes never left mine.

"No."

"Then you'll never get your job back." I was going to say something to him, but someone called me.

"Leila?" My head snapped to the person behind me. My eyes widened when I saw none other than my childhood friend, Franco. We lost contact for almost a decade after I left Denver.

"Franco?" He went for a hug and kissed me on my cheek, "Let's get out of here." I grabbed his hand, but before I could take a step away, my other hand was caught by someone.

When I turned, Tatiana was the one who grabbed my hand.

"Do you mind helping me with some girl stuff?" She smiled, and I gave her a weird look. I turned to Franco and told him to put my number in his phone.

"Let's meet up after this." I smiled, and Franco left. I turned to Tatiana, who was busy whispering something to her husband. She was still holding onto my hand.

"We'll be right back." She announced to her husband, Ares, and the blonde-haired man. She practically dragged me out of the ballroom to the waiting room.

"Mrs.Grant, why are you bringing me here?"

"I'm saving you from Ares' wrath. This is my first time seeing him so mad. What did you do?" She asked me, looking at me confused.

"Wait! Did he say something about me?" I asked her, confused. I'm as confused as her.

"No, but Kayden said he's been-" She stopped midway, "He's been mean to everyone for the past week, so... we're still figuring out why."

"He fired me and my friends from our jobs."

"How mean..." I let out a sigh.

"Thank you for saving me earlier." I wanted to hug her, but that would be rude.

"It's fine. If you want to leave, you can go through the back." I nodded, and I checked my phone to see Franco already texted me. I texted him to meet me outside.

"Thank you once again."

"What's your name?" She asked before I grabbed the door knob.

"Leila."

"Nice to meet you, Leila. I'm Tatiana."

"Thank you so much, Your Highness." I opened the door and gasped to see Ares waiting for me like a grim reaper, ready to take my life away.

"Ares!" Tatiana hissed, and her husband walked into the room, grabbed her hand, and led her out. She tried to protest, but he whispered something into her ear, making her pout.

"I'm sorry." She looked at me, and I smiled, assuring her I'd be okay. After the couple left, Ares entered the room and closed the door. I checked the time as I walked backward, avoiding him.

"Last chance, Leila." I was taken aback when he said my name instead of the nickname that he had for me. I gulped nervously as his eyes looked into mine, trying to hypnotize me.

"Kneel and beg for my forgiveness, then I'll give you and your friend's job back." He put his hands into his pocket. I took an intense breath before letting it out slowly.

"I don't need your forgiveness, and I just find another way," I said confidently, as he was still looking at me with his poker face and bored expression.

"Be an escort?"

"Yeah. I can be an escort, or maybe I can marry a rich man like Franco." I took a few steps towards him, smiling at him. I don't know how I got my courage, but I know I was crazy to mess with him, "There's lots of possibilities for me to find ways to get money. I don't need to beg for your forgiveness." Silent filled the room, causing me to suffocate by my braveness towards him.

He didn't say anything after I told him my plans.

I walked past him and ran out of the room. I don't know why Ares let me go or gave me a chance to escape. I didn't feel good about it, but I ignored all the feelings inside of me.

I went outside to meet up with Franco, and when I saw him, I felt relieved somehow, "Hi."

"Hi. How are you?" He asked, and he waited for me to calm down. I just escaped death, and I need a second to breathe.

"I'm good. How about you? It's been so long since I saw you. How did you end up in Seattle?" I was still trying to calm down, and my phone vibrated.

It is a photo of Leo being shot in the head. I gasped, and my phone fell on the floor. Franco was going to take it, but I made sure he never touched my phone.

Ares: There's a sniper on the 27th-floor building right across from you. I'm giving you five seconds to leave the asshole, or I will shoot him in the head like I did to Leo.

"I have to go, and I'll talk to you soon. I'm sorry!" With that, I ran away. I got into the cab and went straight back to my apartment. My head was still processing the text that Ares sent me.

He killed Leo. Ares killed Leo. He shot him.

As soon as I was back in my apartment, I threw up. My head and stomach hurt from the picture that I saw.

Fuck.

I flushed everything and looked at myself in the mirror. Slowly, my eyes met Ares' dark eyes. He was standing by the door, looking at me with those cold and unreadable eyes.

"You're fucking sick." That came out as a whisper.

"What was your plan again, wildcat?"