Chapter 39 - VISITOR

Leila Morrow

Ares' face fell. I don't know which part of my sentence he didn't like, but he wasn't having it. He took an intense breath and sighed.

"Ever since I was kid, I was told by my parents that I can be replaced. They always compared me to other kids, and they had a hard time trying to figure me out." This is my first time hearing about his past.

"I always got bored easily, and I needed an outlet to let go of all my frustrations. I wanted to become a racer, and I was interested in fast cars." His eyes were glued to the ground like he remembered all the details of his past.

"My dad never let me. He wanted me to become the heir to his throne and compared me to others even more to fuel me up. Because of what my family did, I started causing trouble by wanting to kill my cousin. They sent me to America in hopes I could get better mentally."

"The doctors announced that I was born with a high IQ and needed a good outlet for me to figure out things. Then, I started liking my life in America and decided to end things with my family. I tried to go to a racing academy, but after my second year, I had a big accident that made my position replaced for good."

"That's why you never liked driving cars?" I asked, and he nodded.

"I got depressed after failing that I decided to sell my car and wanted to kill myself. Asher stopped me and offered me a job. He saw that I had a big potential to do something big. He loved my violent tendencies and how good I was at doing business. I was in denial for a few months, but my dad was right that I should take over the family business."

"It's childish." He sighed long, "For me to get angry at people who wanted to replace me when it's obvious that I'm not better than them. Then you said that you'll find someone else, to be honest... I don't understand why I got angry."

"I guess I liked you more than I thought." I didn't dare to look at him. "But I know I'll never be enough for you, but on the other side... I don't think I can let you go."

"I've come into peace that I have to live my life alone... I think." There was a long pause between us, and I slowly turned my head to him.

"And you're ready to live your life alone?"

"No." He answered.

"Then why do you think you have to?" He looked up at me and avoided my eyes right after.

"Because I don't want to hear those words again."

"I'm sorry." I said, and his attention turned back to me, "I'm sorry I said that to you. I just wanted to piss you off. I didn't know that those words would hurt you." I smiled, and he nodded.

"And I think it will be more suitable for us to be friends." He looked so betrayed, but he didn't say anything.

"You think we can be friends?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"Are you seriously treating me like Ariana treated Kaleb?" So Ariana and Kaleb were friends. They don't look like friends to me.

"You told me to live my life before I met you, so I think this is the best way for us."

"Can we still fuck sometimes?" I glared at him. "I told you I'm going to find another dick to fuck." I pointed at my ear, mocking him.

"I'll be jealous and end up killing those people. Do you want me to do that?"

"You won't."

"I will."

"You won't!" I hissed, and he looked shocked seeing my comeback. "You'll listen to me, Ares." He didn't say anything.

"I'm going back out there, and you're not going to interrupt my night." And again, silent...

I walked towards the door, and Ares got up from the sofa. "I'll leave then..." He didn't even bother to turn to me. He walked out and left me speechless with his reaction. I was hoping for him to be mad or defy my words.

I saw him going down from the fourth floor. I walked out to see him before he disappeared. My heart was heavy, but we both needed time to think. We need space to figure out everything.

I texted Kaleb that I needed a jet to go back home.

Ares Young

"Friends?" Clyde laughed along with Kayden after hearing my stories. I threw a punch straight to his jaw, pissed.

"I plan to seduce Luna and Tatiana." A big punch from Clyde.

"Your bruises and scars still haven't healed, and here you are." I turned to the door and saw Mason walking in with a donut.

"Since fucking when do you eat donuts?" Good question, Kayden.

"Leila wants to be friends with Ares." Clyde teased me again, and Mason chuckled.

"And how did you take the news?"

"I've wanted to kill some people so bad." I threw another punch at Clyde, and he immediately punched me back.

"I'm impressed that you didn't even try to be with her."

"I don't think it will be good for us if I did that." I decided to stop boxing with Clyde. I threw my boxing glove out of the ring and walked out.

"Hey! We're not done yet! Where are you going?!" I walked to my boxing bag and took my box of cigarettes and a lighter out. I walked out and went straight to the rooftop to smoke. I lit up my cigarette and looked up to the sky.

My mind was filled with Leila. It's been a week since Beijing, and my life has been going downhill. I was having difficulty sleeping, eating, working, and surviving.

"Friends?" I asked myself so many times.

"I mean, I never thought you wanted us to be more than friends..." I didn't have to turn my head to know it was Asher.

"Shut the fuck up, Serano." I hissed, not in the mood to have a conversation with him.

"Someone claimed to be your little brother downstairs. He looked a lot like you."

"What is that fucker doing here?"

"I like him, and he should be our new member." I almost push him off the building. "He's with Leila, by the way." I threw my cigarette to the floor and walked back into the building.