Vacuity | Prologue

• PROLOGUE •___

• PROLOGUE •
___

"I'll be in denial for at least a little while,"
Billie Eilish

Fifth Year

The marks from the post-battle were still fresh against the fifth year student as she rushed down the steps of the Undercroft and  felt the heavy lump in her throat fight for its life.

The defeat of Ranrok and the loss of Eleazar Fig took a heavy toll on Y/n Y/l/n.

The pain from the battle wounds lingered as Y/n rushed down those concrete stairs. Her throat was sore and her head was pounding with a dull, persistent throb.

As she descended into the dark and dank chamber of the Undercroft, she almost felt a sigh of relief. Almost.

"Sebastian?" Y/n rushed, "Sebastian?!"

Her emotions from the fight were still fresh in her mind as she called out for Sebastian Sallow — but the Undercroft was quiet, the only sound being the faint trickle of the barrels around.

Suddenly, Ominis Gaunt appeared before the Hufflepuff girl, worry evident on his face.

"Ominis?"

The first sign of relief came out of Ominis Gaunt that night.

"Y/n, is that you? Thank Merlin!, Y-you're alive." Ominis called out, extending his arms to measure if she was still in-tact.

"Of course, I am," Y/n responded, almost confusedly, "What are you doing here? Where's Sebastian?"

Ominis breathed quickened. It was unusual for the Slytherin to react that way or have any sort of emotion at all. He always seemed cold and kept his feelings to himself and Y/n knew that, so this was concerning.

"Have you been to the Great Hall?" Ominis asked.

"No? I'm coming from the Map Chamber. I closed the Repository minutes ago. I-I just-" Y/n took a breath, realizing her health was low from the post-battle, "Sebastian said to see him here after-"