Ch 21 | Triggers

• Ch 21 | Triggers •

"And if you can't be next to me,
your memory is ecstasy,"
Justin Bieber

Y/n's Perspective

"How have you been grams?" I grabbed the nearest dining chair, dusting it off from a few spider webs, and sat beside my grandma.

"Oh, dear, I've been well...just knitting, killing spiders." My grandma let out a soft laugh.

I nodded, looking around the home full of small spiders. I've had to kill a handful when entering and on each visit. I began to feel more guilt and fear for her. It wasn't right.

"I'm sorry, grams, I promise—"

"Oh, don't worry, dear! I lived through it," My grandma rested her wrinkly hand over mine, "Tell me about you. How have you been?"

I sighed knowing that nothing had been fine.

Sebastian Sallow didn't show up to class for three days and counting after I received that owl. Not that I was keeping track, but his absence made me feel odd considering the last emotion I felt toward him was anger.

"It's been well," I sighed, "Just the pressure with NEWTs and all, you know? It's all just temporary."

I didn't want to bring up the topic of working for the Ministry. The least my grandma would want is to drop my education to work for them for the rest of my life. She'll persuade me to not do it — but I wanted a better life for her.

"Something you and your mother had in common is the false expression of honesty when lying," My grandma smiled.

I flushed, the mixture of sadness, and calmness with the mention of my mother. It was rare, but when it happened, it was usually a comparison.

"What's wrong, my sweet? My grandma asked, "How's the boy?" She referred to Sebastian.

I sat there, looking down at my hands and shrugging, "You were right. I'm not responsible for fixing or healing Sebastian Sallow, but...why does my heart say otherwise?"

The moment of passion with Garreth Weasley still trapped in my head, but I tried not to think much of it. Why did my heart still say to stay loyal to someone that didn't care? Someone who had given up already?

"Sometimes, my dear," My grandma leaned, "we just have to let go of things and trust that our hearts will guide us to what we are meant to have. Whether it's a love, a career, or something else entirely."

I sighed, taking in her words.

A career...

Did any of this truly matter if I worked with the Ministry? I'll no longer get a sense of stressing over Sebastian or Garreth — or NEWT studies. It was more negative than positive.