Ch 18 | The Ignorant Girl

• Ch 18 | The Ignorant Girl •

"You're not in the dark,
but far from the light,"
Nilu

Y/n's Perspective

There are two specific tells that indicate that a moving body is an Inferius. The first is that the skin will be paler than that of the average human. Many people —

I tried concentrating on that second floor of the library, I really did, but it was impossible. It seemed more self-challenging and it was mostly my fault. I was concentrating well in the beginning, reading over excerpts, but the sound of Sebastian's cleaning vibrated my ears.

As I said, it was mostly my fault for focusing my hearing on the wrong thing. It is a big and spacious library, so to hear the sound of towels sweeping over from a floor down was odd, but it was what my mind was focusing on.

My writing quill tapped lazily over the parchment below me. I was supposed to be taking notes, but I was more stuck on the fact that I kissed — no, wait, Garreth Weasley kissed me a few days ago.

It was so unexpected. Maybe, that's why I found myself thinking more often about it than usual. I haven't had a physical touch in such a long time, it triggered me. At first, it felt like a dream, but Garreth was very reminded about it in Potions.

"I can't stop thinking about last Saturday night," Garreth would whisper in between our potion assignments.

His arm would extend over my cauldron, getting an excuse to lean near and intimate me. I'll flush, but I'll blame the heat of the potion air.

"Perhaps, we should do it, again?" Garreth whispered, "Somewhere that isn't the Hospital Wing?"

I wanted to smile and proceed with a giggle, but from the corner of my eyes, I could still sense the demotic stare of Isabel Prewett. Her utterly mean-reminding words echoed in my ears.

Sebastian and Isabel have interacted within the last few classes, but I've learned to block them from my perspective. Sebastian was no longer someone I should put my worry on, he was now mean and cold, just like Isabel Prewett.

Did it hurt? Of course, but it felt nice to still get the notice of my care from other people, like Poppy and Garreth and...

"The library is closing."

When I came back to my clear senses of being back in the library, I realized my quill was bleeding through the parchment below and I was smiling to myself from my own positive thoughts.

I removed the messy quill quickly from the paper and set it back in place before turning to the deep tone that was speaking out from the end of the bookshelf.