Ch 12 | The First Day

• Ch 12 | The First Day •

"That doesn't mean we didn't try to get there,"
Lewis Capaldi

Y/n's Perspective

"Sebastian Sallow has been declared innocent of the charges against him, and has returned to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

I tried maintaining a steady calmness as the Hogwarts students caused chaos over the first headline of The Daily Prophet that Monday morning in the Great Hall.

I should have been more aware that Sebastian Sallow's return was also going to affect me; considering he and I shared a past that couldn't be hidden, it was nearly impossible to ignore anything.

"How are you feeling?"

I jolted a little when Poppy Sweeting's hand rested on my shoulder with comfort as I read The Daily Prophet below me on the Hufflepuff table.

It was breakfast, and it was also the day that Sebastian Sallow could enter the school any second now. Right now wouldn't have been a good time to enter.

"Everyone is staring at me," I murmured out lowly, only enough for her to hear.

Poppy leaned in, scooting her small body near me and giving me a look of worry, "You and Sebastian were so close—"

"I know," I swallowed, "But these stares....they won't help anything."

Poppy didn't know about the truth. About how it wouldn't be the first time I would see him. How my real worry was that Sebastian Sallow wasn't going to be near me when he came back. We were strangers.

How was I supposed to excuse that from the entire school?

"Do you have any information? Have you seen him?" Poppy asked in curiosity.

"No," I lied, "I-I want to give him space."

I did want to give Sebastian space, well, I had to. It's not like I was given the choice.

"That's good." Poppy encouraged, "I'm sure he will need you by his side. It must be intimidating with all these students." She whispered.

It was intimidating.

Sebastian Sallow entered midway through Defense Against the Dark Arts with Ominis Gaunt by his side that morning.

He only wore the white uniform buttoned up; the tight long sleeve hugging over his muscles as they were rolled up.

The school pants almost cut shorter from his ankles due to how tall he had grown in imprisonment. The Slytherin tie hung loosely over his neck, but that was the least to worry about.