Ch 22 | The Pattern

• Ch 22 | The Pattern •

"I'm playing the victim so well in my head,
but it's me who's been making the bed,"
Olivia Rodrigo

Y/n's Perspective

Sebastian Sallow said no words as he stood there inches away from the Undercroft's entrance.

I couldn't understand why he wasn't saying anything. He stood there like a rock. No words, no movements. It was like he was frozen in time, and it drove me mad.

I didn't know what to expect. I was at the peak of my emotions, and there was this knot inside of me that hoped he would explain himself, or at least try to say something.

"What?" I managed to say again, letting out the second word after his silence, "Are you here to tell me to leave too? Shout at me?" I asked.

Sebastian stood there, looking off into the distance at my questioning. It was like he wasn't even registered with me talking to him.

"No." Sebastian finally gave in.

We were barely looking eye-to-eye. Perhaps, it might've been the mixture of my frustration and nerves of actually having him back here without begging.

I tried reading Sebastian from feet away. How the hazel in his eyes tried hiding beneath the false darkness; how his long fingers tricked together on his sides before his arms crossed over his hips, wanting to hide in a ball.

"You weren't expecting me here, were you?" I asked, the knot in me still tightening with hope he'd contradict it.

"N-No," Sebastian urged out.

I turned my back from him, facing the opposite of the Undercroft, and closed my eyes with a sigh.

I didn't want him to read off my expression of disappointment for not opening up the way I expected him to — to explain his mind and not just give one-word answers.

"So," I continued on, still facing my back on him as I looked around the mess I made, "The owl you sent a few days ago was not intentional."

I could hear my own footsteps on the cemented floor below me as I walked slowly and waited for an answer.

It was funny because my body re-felt before my brain on what Sebastian Sallow would potentially answer me, but I still wanted to ask, even though I could feel my nerves fraying from his predicted answer.

It came off slowly, but surely.

"It was a mistake." Sebastian finally let out.

I wanted to laugh, not for giggles, but to laugh out of frustration and confusion. I knew that was going to be the answer, and that's why it made me more annoyed than I already was.