Regret

It felt like an eternity running through the tunnels in almost complete darkness before Nuka was catching up on the others.

Some time ago, the torches and straight tunnels with sandstone walls had been replaced by winding passageways and the dark, cold gray stone that were typical of caves.

However, Nuka didn't have much time to look around as the little creature had been running at breakneck speed, leaving him completely exhausted as he finally reached the group.

They were still being led through the dark caverns by Roxana, whose staff was giving off a bright pinkwhite light and was the only thing that illuminated the darkness around them.

"You're back!"

Einshine was the first one who exclaimed in relief when he arrived, whereupon the others stopped and turned towards him, giving Nuka some time to catch his breath.

"It seems like my spell worked," Roxana added as she turned to him and smiled. But before Nuka could reply to her, Steve confronted him.

"Where is Notch?" he demanded to know, and the tone of his voice made Nuka flinch.

"I... I'm sorry," he stammered as he stepped back, looking at Steve with a worried expression. "I... I wanted to save him, but... but I was too late... Null... Null took him..."

"What?!" Steve hissed in response. "And you allowed that?!"

"What... What could I have done?" Nuka dared to protest. "I... I could never have defeated him..."

But Steve snorted contemptuously, and for a brief moment, Nuka feared he might strike or harm him in some way. However, before he could dwell on it further, Steve had turned away.

"I knew it was a bad idea to send a criminal like him," he growled angrily toward Roxana, who looked at him in surprise. "Now Notch is dead because of this useless idiot, all because you sent him!"

"But Notch isn't dead," Nuka dared to say, causing Steve to turn back to him. "Null just grabbed him and took him away before he would continue searching for us..."

"Oh, and that makes it so much better?!" Steve snapped angrily, once again looming over him.

Nuka found himself backing away and inadvertently pressing his back against a wall, looking nervous around for Herobrine, who was still being supported by Einshine, in hope that he would step in but he just avoided his gaze.

Why isn't he helping me? he wondered confusedly, but before he could think more about it, Einshine intervened.

"Leave him alone!" he demanded, glaring at Steve with an irritated expression. "Its not his fault that Notch is now in Null's captivity."

Nuka looked at him in surprise when he heard this.

He hadn't expected the griefer to stand up for him, but he was all the more grateful for it.

At least someone does it, he thought with relief, even though he still wondered why Herobrine didn't support him.

But before he could dwell on it further, Steve brought him back to the present, sneering at Einshine's words before turning to face him.

"But that doesn't make it any better, does it?!" he growled at Einshine, who then crossed his arms over his chest and surprisingly did not avoid Steve's gaze—a feat Nuka wouldn't have been capable of.

Before the griefer could respond, Roxana stepped in.

"That's enough now!" she exclaimed energetically, positioning herself between the two and regarding them with a serious expression. "Blaming anyone won't accomplish anything! Notch is gone, and we can't change that now."