The Reason

It was silent.

Nothing could be heard except for Notch's heavy breathing as he knelt here, exhausted, between two pillars.

These pillars, along with a few others in a row, supported the high ceiling of Steve's throne room.

Notch didn't know how he had gotten here.

The last thing he remembered was being grabbed by Null and dragged through a portal.

After that, he had awakened here, chained between these two pillars, with no way to move and no one in sight.

At first, Notch hadn't been disappointed.

In fact, he had been relieved, fearing that if someone were to come to him, it would be no one other than Null, and that wouldn't be good for him, to say the least.

To be honest, he was surprised he was still alive.

However, by now, he had become incredibly thirsty and hungry. He could also clearly feel the deterioration of his body.

His broken arm burned like fire, and any movement made it worse, so he desperately tried to move as little as possible, but he kept drifting in and out of sleep, wich inadvertently causing new movement and also new pain that always jolted him awake.

A terrible cycle he couldn't escape.

Notch swallowed and tried once again to blink away the tears caused by the pain in his broken arm.

Sweat dripped from his forehead, and he took another deep breath in the hope of calming his trembling body, but it was futile.

Maybe that's why he brought me here, thought Notch wearily as he closed his eyes and gritted his teeth to stifle a cry of pain. Maybe he wants to torment me with sleep deprivation and pain until I go mad...

With this thought, he forced himself to lift his head and look around the throne room once more.

Many banners were burned or torn to shreds, and the rest of the hall was also in poor condition.

Most blocks were burned or missing large pieces, as if they had been struck by an explosion or something very powerful.

Especially in front of the Thron, there was a massive burn mark, and Notch shuddered as he looked at it.

He didn't know what had happened there, but it definitely couldn't have been anything good.

But the worst, the absolute worst, were the bloodstains everywhere on the floor and walls, along with parts of broken armor and swords casually thrown into the corners.

All clear signs of the desperate battle that many Minecrafters had fought against Null... and lost.

Notch lowered his gaze, feeling shame and guilt welling up within him.

How many had died here?

How many he couldn't protect?

I wonder what happened to the rest of them, he added in his thoughts as he lifted his head again and looked out of one of the many windows, where the sun was disappearing, and the sky was already darkening. Null couldn't possibly have killed all of them, could he?

At that moment, he heard footsteps echoing loudly in the empty castle. He turned his gaze to the door and froze as he saw Null, who strolled in with a satisfied grin.

"Greetings, Notch!" he continued a moment later in a mocking tone as he continued to walk toward him, swinging the staff casually from one hand to the other. "How do you like my hospitality?"