A necessary sacrifice

Roxana looked sadly at the door through which Nuka had just disappeared.

She still felt guilty for putting that spell on him, even if it had given them some important answers in the end.

Although I'm pretty sure he would have told us all that himself if he'd had the chance... she thought ruefully.

Though maybe not everything, she added as she remembered how the boy had struggled until he couldn't take the pain anymore when Jason had asked him about it and was forced to reveal his direct relation to Null.

The truth still shocked her, even though she had already suspected something similar.

I feel so sorry for him... she finished as she glanced sympathetically at the door again through which the guards had just led him I can only imagine how terrible he must have felt when he learned that the one who had threatened the very fabric of this world and hurt and almost killed his best friend was his father...

"Ales, do you have a plan?" Alex continued to Steve, who just sighed.

"No," he admitted a moment later, "I had a few on the way here, but with all the new information Nuka gave us, most of them are useless."

"But that's why it was good to question him," he continued shortly afterwards in a serious voice, "Because now we can make a new plan. One that has a much smaller chance of failing than the one I had before."

"But do we really know that much more?" Jason asked doubtfully, to which Steve only nodded.

"Of course," he replied simply, "We now know that Null is definitely in my castle and since Herobrine is there, we can assume that Notch is also being held captive."

"Are you sure?" Alex asked uncertainly and even though she was still calm, Roxana couldn't help but notice that she was a little more nervous than before. Why now tho? "I mean, after all, Nuka didn't say anything about him."

"That's true," Steve conceded, "but I don't see why he shouldn't. Sure Nuka hasn't said anything about him, but the castle is big. It's quite possible that he put Notch somewhere other than Herobrine, which is why Nuka couldn't see him."

"Although," he added grimly, "the boy's attention is too focused on Herobrine that I don't think it's unlikely that he simply overlooked him in the heat of the moment."

"Of course, there is still the possibility that he is already... already dead," he continued a moment later in a faltering voice and Roxana noticed how a slight unease ran through everyone at these words, "but I... I can't believe that. After all, he is the creator of this world and I can't imagine that his death has no effect on the things he created."

Roxana looked at him doubtfully.

She hoped with all her heart that he was right in his assumption, but given how long they hadn't seen him and how long he had been without the potions Roxana had given Herobrine and Steve, she knew the chance that he was still alive was more than small.

"The point is," Steve continued again in a firm voice, "that we have to assume he's there too, and therefore we have to be able to find him, rescue him and possibly give him medical care, along with... Herobrine."

He grimaced at the last words, making it more clear that he didn't like the idea at all, but before he could say more, Alex cut in again.

"But how are you going to get into the castle anyway?" she asked him anxiously, to which Steve just shrugged his shoulders.

"Oh, getting into the castle isn't what I'm worried about," he replied before turning to stare at the table with a thoughtful expression, "It's the shadows and Null itself that I'm worried about, since we can't escape, fight or even kill them. Which means even if we get into the castle and into the throne room to save Herobrine and Notch, we'll easily be overrun and killed if the shadows are still around."