Chapter One | Lily POV

The tree branches thrash against the wind, resembling evil claws from a monster unknown.

The sound of the wind howling an eerie whistle, brings me goosebumps. It is cold and I am not alone.

Trying to find a path out of this darkened hellish nightmare. I am lost and the creature watching me from the shadows is creeping closer and closer.

I feel the ooze of blood drizzle from my leg as it clips a fallen branch.

The hairs on the back of my neck indicate the creature is behind me, slowly turning around to meet my doom.

My heart thuds, thuds, thuds... suddenly something black pounces making me fall back.

Jolting in my bed from the fall in my dreams, I wake up in a cold sweat, realising it was all just a nightmare.

Too real.

Picking up my phone from the wooden drawer beside my bed, my face cringes at the brightness of my screen. As my eyes finally decide to adapt to the light and I see that it is 4:38 in the morning. I am awake before the sun and there is no way I can fall back to sleep with my nightmares still fresh in my mind.

Today is too important, I needed all the sleep I could get. It's my final exams before I go off to college. If I fail this exam I can't get into my college of choice.

Since I can remember I have always wanted to get into Wolf Lake College, the same one my mother went to before she had me. Otherwise I have to go to the one here in Edgewood but being a small town it really isn't too good.

My mother fell pregnant when she was 19, left school and moved home to Edgewood to raise me. She had so many hope and dreams and as much as she never actually said it, I know I ruined them all. She was too kind to me and I miss her very much. She has been dead for 10 years now, she died on my 8th birthday.

A wave of sadness washed over me thinking about my mother as I brushed my hair. I remember when she used to braid my hair, humming an unknown tune to me.

Downstairs I am met by my grandmother in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

"Good morning Lily, why are you up so early?" My grand mother asked.

Taking a mug from the cupboard, "I had another dream." I admitted to grandma.

Grandma stopped mixing the eggs and walked over to hug me.

"Sweet girl, when will these dreams stop?" She said as she stroked my face.

I gave her a brave smile and continued to pour myself a cup of coffee.

"Ready for the big day?" Grandma asked.
I raised my eyebrows and let out a long breath. "Not really." I answered.

"Don't let it stress you, I know you will ace it!" Grandma said with confidence.

I finished my coffee, washed my cup before kissing grandma's cheek and making my way up stairs.

I took a long, hot shower. I still felt cold from the nightmare this morning. Washing over my body with my pink loffa I lather the soap all over.
Then using my hand to wash the remaining soap off my skin. Down on my left leg I feel something unusual. Looking down I see a dried up scab from what looks like a scratch.

When did I do that?

I thought to myself. Inspecting it closer. I run my fingers over it and remember my dream...

No it can't be.

I remind myself and brush it from my mind.

I put on a pair of jeans and tank top, it was coming up to summer and the temperature was getting warmer. As I examine my makeup I am pleased with myself and heads downstairs.

Grabbing an apple from the basket on the table, I kiss grandma on the cheek and head out the door.

I decided to walk to school this morning.
I had plenty of time to spare considering I have been up since before dawn. I thought I'd take my time and take in the scenery. I loved the outdoors, especially walking barefoot on the grass. I always felt some kind of electricity when I came in contact with the earth, I have felt that way since I was a little girl.

When I finally arrived at school, I decided to pack up my locker, considering today was going to be my last day. I pulls a trash can closer and begin sorting through my things. I have had the same locker since the beginning of high school, I collected a heap of junk over the years.

Once I was finished I pushed the trash can back to where it came from and walked into the bathroom to wash my hands in the basin.
I heard the door open and my face lit up to see my bestie Harper walk in. We excitedly squealed as we embraced in a hug.

Harper is gorgeous, with long dirty-blonde locks and deep blue eyes. Harper and I have been friends since just after my mother died. She was a breath of fresh air when she came into my life. We have been friends ever since. Harper has also chose Wolf Lake as her preferred college. We plan to stay friends forever!

The school bell rings and Harper lets out a nervous squeal.

"Ohh Lil it's time," she said as she loops onto my arm. "Our future awaits us." She said as we leave the bathroom.

In class, all the students take their seats. I begin to line up my stationary in preparation for the exam and looks over to Harper who sits across from me.

"Good luck, gorgeous." I whisper to Harper.

"Wolf Lake baby!" Harper replies putting three fingers making a 'w' in the air (the Wolf Lake symbol).

After the exam I released a breath I didn't know I was holding, as I handed my teacher my papers.

"How do you think you went?" A voice came from behind me in the hall. Harper.

"I don't know, I am too nervous I feel like puking!" I replied.

We continue to walk down the hallway toward the exit.

Outside Harper turns to me, "Lil are we still going to Johnathan's party tonight, school break up baby!" She said excitedly.

"For sure! Grandma said I can sleep at yours tonight." I replied just as excited.

~

Later that day harper and I are standing in Harpers room looking at dresses. Harper holds a green dress up to me, "this would look so cute, I'm sure Jake won't be able to keep his hands off you." she stated.

My face scrunched, "I'm just not sure, Harp. For some reason I'm just not interested in boys at the moment." I said.

"So your into girls." Harper guessed.

We both giggled.

"No, no it's not that!" I said. "I'm just not interested at the moment, I don't know why, maybe my mind is too focused on Wolf Lake." I guessed.

After we finished getting ready, Harper settled on a black halter dress and I decided on jeans and a tank top much to to Harpers disapproval.

"You always wear the same thing, step outside the box and embrace that gorgeous figure of yours." Harper complimented me.

"I feel comfortable in this." I explained gesturing my outfit.

Hey Guys,

This is my very first Wattpad story.

I would love your honest opinions.

Don't forget to vote if you like.

Love Ophelia Blake x