01

ALANA

"Don't be anywhere near the dining or the main room, do you understand?" My stepmother says with hatred lacing her voice as she looks at me with a disgusted expression.

I sigh quietly, nodding my head.

"I understand" I whisper, which somehow irritates her more.

"And why are you not dressed yet? It is almost breakfast time" She screeches. "What a wonder that you are engaged, Mr. Eldridge has not an idea what he is taking on by marrying you" She seethes, making me flinch.

I hate that I don't speak up for myself. I hate that I don't have a backbone to stand up to anyone for my own dignity. I sniffle as I feel that familiar sting in my nose.

She turns around to the maid behind her and gestures to me while speaking.

"Fix her. It is your responsibility to keep an eye on this good for nothing girl." She says, shaking her head as she walks away.

I let out a breath I was holding to suck in my stomach as Brielle enters, closing the door behind her.

"I am sorry Miss, I was trying to get here as fast as-"

"It's okay Brielle, we know I can never please them" I say giving a smile to reassure her. It's not her fault they hate me.

I walk over to my mirror, staring at the scars on my stomach and waist while she picks out a dress for me with another impossible corset. I peak out the window next to the vanity to see my father getting out of a car, heading inside.

A shiver runs up my spine looking at his rigid demeanor.

He's angry.

I quickly get into the dress she picked out, not paying attention to anything but getting downstairs and to the breakfast table before him.

I thought he would be happy atleast today. His darling daughter is going to be betrothed to the Don's son. The heir to the throne. Why is he upset.

I quickly slip on my shoes as Brielle puts my hair into a clip at the back of my head and I walk as fast as I can with my limited breathing capacity, into the family dining room where I am thankfully the first to arrive.

I see all the servants bustling around the house trying to prepare everything for tonight.

Why? Beacuse the Don is going to be coming to our house tonight.

I was 10 when my mother passed away and my Father had to remarry. Unfortunately for me, he married a woman who had hated me since the day I was born.

My father and my stepmother met at a party 20 years ago. My father had never actually loved my mum, he married her for his family's sake. So when he fell in love with my stepmother, Anita, he had decided to divorce my mum so he could be with her. But before he could do that, my mum found out she was pregnant, with me. And so he had to stay married to her. That's why Anita hates me.

Anita tried everything to get my fathers family to accept her. She even got pregnant with my stepsister, Katrina at the same time so he could marry her, but tradition did not allow two marriages at once.

But I do not understand how she had done that. Didn't God bless only married couples with children? I do not know.

So, when my mom died from a tumor 10 years ago, Anita did not even wait for her funeral to get father to marry her. My life has been myriad of sorrows since then. Not that it was better before.

Anita is not the only one who hates me. Father does too. Im assuming, for the same reasons.

Now, at 20 years old, betrothed to a man I have never seen nor had a single conversation with. I don't even know his first name. I remember when I asked father if I get a say 2 weeks ago. He back handed me and told me to have some respect.

I'm told that's the life of a woman in the Mafia. We have to respect the man of the house, we have to keep our heads low and go from obeying our fathers to obeying our husbands.

I cant help but wonder if I could survive outside of this world. If I could live without a man to obey.

"Alana" Fathers deep, berating voice snapped me out of my rebellious thoughts.

"Good Day father" He looks annoyed but nods at me.

"Where are Anita and Katrina?" He asks sitting down then motioning nodding for me to sit down.

"Forgive me, I do not know" I say, afraid he would get mad.

Just then they enter making me take a breath of relief.

They both sit down, and my Father nods in permission for us to start eating.

"Is everything in order for the Don's arrival?" he asks making Anita nod quickly.

"Yes, I have everything arranged and Katrina is also prepared.". She answers. "If Alana doesn't disgrace us with her cursed presence our daughter will be engaged to the heir of the Mafia!" she all but squeals with glee. I catch Katrina giving me a look. I never can read her expressions.

For someone who hates me, Anita sure does mention me alot. Am I really that much of a bother in her life?

"Alana, you are to stay in the East Wing, capirè?" he asks making me nod. "Do not go to your room, if the Don asks, I do not wish to be embarrassed." he says making me nod again.

Why can't I just stay in my room.

I slowly chew my fruit, praying the night to not be a disaster.