05

ALANA

"Which dress do you choose Mam?" Mrs. Fiore asks me. I feel dazed and completely overwhelmed. Yesterday, I meant nothing, no one paid attention to me or asked me anything. Today, Im being polished and prepped and dressed for an engagement party.

A celebration the whole Mafia is going to celebrate. The marriage of the new Don. I cannot help but laugh at my own unrelenting bad luck.

It was bad enough that I was going to marry someone who would be exactly like my father, but now, Im marrying a Don. I can't imagine how much worse it will be. And to think he caught me crying and I told him to leave the room. A don! Im sure he will be planning my punishment.

I look back at Mrs. Fiore and the dresses she has displayed for me. They have come from my soon to be in laws and I am to pick one to wear tonight.

"They're all so beautiful but so revealing" I say. The necklines are all plunging and the slits too high, the thought of hundreds of people looking at me in one of these dresses is so nerve wracking.

"Well you must pick one child, the Donna has personally sent them over" she says looking them over.

The least revealing one is a dark red corset dress with a strapless neckline. The slit isn't too high and it looks like the most modest option.

"Is this one okay?" I ask her and she smiles.

"Sí, looks beautiful your bust will fill zis out nicely" she says casually making me flush red. I have a bigger chest then most. I mean its only a C cup but seeing others around me its a little bigger.

The day goes on with me being pulled by stylists and makeup artists as they styled me to the perfect bride for the perfect wedding. Except none of this was perfect. This isn't what marriage was supposed to be. I did not even know my husbands name.

I wish I could slip away into my own minds world. My mind that paints the most beautiful pictures when I read words on a page. It is heartbreaking to know that the romance written in books is just that, words in books.

I sigh, looking at myself in the mirror, trying to find any trace of happiness in my eyes. All I found was the excruciating pain that had been there as long as I could remember.

"You look absolutely gorgeous Mam" Brielle gushes looking at me with admiration. I smile at her and sigh, looking back into the mirror.

My hair is curled and some pieces frame my face in the front. The makeup looks beautiful, its just enough, nothing crazy. I usually wear makeup all the time because I have these small freckles on my nose that I am told are ugly, so I like to keep them covered.

My shoes are tall heels and I am so afraid I will fall and embarrass myself but its a risk I have to take.

Mrs

Mrs. Fiore knocks and enters the room then gasps.

"Ah, bellisima, bellisima ragazza" She squeals patting my cheek. "Your father has told me to tell you that the Donna has sent for you. The car awaits outside dear, the rest of your family will reach soon after you." she informs.

I feel a pit form in my stomach and panic begins to rise in me.

"But, I have to go alone? I couldn't possibly, I dont even know anyone there!" I say to her but she shakes her head.

The thought that I dont know anyone and I always feel alone emters my head.

"Oh you'll be fine dolcezza, now come on, hurry up" She rushes me and soon, I am sitting in a big, black car with an identical one following behind, and 2 men in the front.

I nervously play with my hands as I look around the area. I never leave the house. I am not allowed to go anywhere unless father says other wise. Katrina and Stepmother go out shopping but I am not allowed that either.

Ever since I was little, she told me that I shouldn't waste money on clothes since I am fat, and they wont look good anyway. It's true, my dresses all get specially made and I get 3 every month.

I once said how I do not look much bigger than Katrina which resulted in me being locked away in the old room. Stepmother told me that Katrina is taller, so she can not look fat like I do.

I am broken out of my thoughts when the car stops at a checking post infront huge black gates. I remember reading about the Iron curtain. This is how I imagined it.

The gates soon open to reveal a huge palace like structure. The moldings are all old Roman looking structures and look like something out of a fairy tale. The building is a light color but intimidating nonetheless.

The car soon stops and the men climb out, one of them opens my door and a woman comes forward to help me out of the car.

"Benvenuto a Casa Del Padrino Mrs. Moretti" She says making me stare at her open mouthed then I quickly regain my composure and nod, fixing my dress to brush off my embarrassment. God Alana pull it together.
(Welcome to the House of the Godfather, Mrs. Moretti)

Mrs. Moretti.
Thats me.
Oh god.

The woman leads me inside and through a maze of beautiful and intricate hallways then stops before a heavy looking wooden door and knocks.

It is only a wonder what surprises await me on the other side.