39

ALANA

After Ares leaves, I do my routine things then change into a pretty dress and some heels.

I used my compact to cover up my bruise

I used my compact to cover up my bruise. I had gotten practice on it and now I was good at covering them up.

I had not been downstairs in the last few days. I did not know how much everyone in the house knew about what had happened but I did want to broadcast it and make the future Don look bad. Only one maid, Celia, had seen the bruise and had been helping me and I had asked her to keep my secret.

Now that my bruise was light and healed enough conceal, I decided to go downstairs and face the music.

When I made it down, Maybel was there and she smiled wide at me.

"Oh its so great to see you tesoro, I wanted to come up and see you but Celia said I shouldn't and that you were resting whenever I tried. But you feel better now sí?" She asks. I smile and nod at her enthusiasm.

"Did Xander eat breakfast?" I ask her. She nods with a sweet smile.

"Yes, he did and he has asked me to make sure you eat aswell, so come." She ushers me to the dining room.

"He did?" I ask her surprised by the fact.

"Oh sí, he has everyday since you got sick, very sweet of the young master indeed." She says happily as she serves me food.

I smile at the thought that he was so thoughtful and cared about that.

Afterwards, I sit in the sitting room, sketching some random things onto my paper. I wanted to make a mermaid but I settled for a ship on some waves instead. I cant make faces, I find it difficult.

I hear heavy footsteps and I look over my art pad to see Ares enter and look over me. I am sitting on the couch with my feet up. I immediately put my feet down, sitting up properly.

"I didn't know you drew" he comments, looking down at my sketches. "sono impressionato" he says making me blush.
(I'm impressed)

"Thankyou. You're back so soon? Is everything okay?" I ask him putting my things away and standing up. He nods, running a hand through his hair.

"Sí, I have to leave urgently on a work trip. I will need you stay with your Father while I am away." he informs.

My heart drops as I feel tears sting my nose and eyes. Oh no. I look at him trying to say something but my tongue seems to be tied as no words leave me.

"I know it is sudden, but I will inform the consigliere and it will only be a few days" He tries to assure whatever uncertainty I had managed to convey with my eyes.

I sadly nod, not having any other option but to agree.

"Has your bruise healed already?" He asks looking at my exposed neck.

"N-no I have covered it up" I tell him.

"And how do you know how to do that?" he asks. My eyes widen at the question.

Father said never to let him find out. Oh no.

"I- I d-dont. I figured uhm." I stutter pathetically but get saved by his phone ringing.

He answers the phone, giving me a skeptical look.

I help him pack a bag and pack one for myself aswell. The whole time he is on his phone making calls and ordering people to do different things.

Once I am done he stands and calls someone to take our bags. He motions for me to follow him as he still talks on the phone.

We are soon stopped infront of my Fathers house. Dread is pooling in my stomach and I feel my heart pounding as I stare at the very house I grew up in and get out of the car with him.

"I called the consigliere to let him know that you are coming, you have your phone with you sí?" Ares asks. I nod quickly. "Bene, call me if you need something. And answer if I call you okay?" He says. I nod again as I look at him, the sun makes his eyes look like pretty green jewels.

His phone rings again making him sigh in annoyance.

"Go in, I am coming in a minute." My body freezes at his words as I want to so desperately say no. Tell him I do not want to. But he turns away to take his call. I timidly walk up the few steps, entering the hostile, cold air of the house.

"Alana." I hear his voice making me jerk and quickly look in Fathers direction. "What did you do hm? Were you bad poca dolore? Did you make your husband leave you?" he asks. His tone menacing, face unforgiving.
(little pain)

I desperately shake my head. I wasn't bad I promise I wasn't.

"Speak! Are you mute ragazza?!" He screams making me jump and whimper. His voice leaves me shaking.

"Consigliere." A low, scary voice speaks behind me. Soon I feel the warmth of a presence right behind me. "Watch your tone when you speak to my wife." he says. My eyes widen and I immediately look at Father's reaction.

He looks embarrassed as he apologizes to Ares. Oh no.

"She is the future Donna and I did not give anyone permission to speak to my wife that way." He says. I feel warmth spread through my body at his kind words. "She is only here for a couple days while I take care of business out of town, I will pick her up myself in 3 days time." He informs.

Father nods then with a bitter expression he walks away.

I turn around to face my husband and he looks down at me.

"Im going to take my leave now." he says. I nod. He turns walking a few steps away.

"Please stay" I whisper. He turns around looking at me with questioning eyes.

"What?" he asks. I gulp, shaking my head.

"Nothing." I choke out. He walks back over to me.

"I will be back in 3 days." He says again. I nod looking at him. But I couldn't stop my lip from trembling. He sighs. "Do you want to come with me? There will be men traveling with me so I did not want you to but-"

"No I am okay" I say to him. He gives me a long look, as if thinking about something. "Have a safe trip" I tell him. He looks almost pained as he nods and walks to the door.

With one last look in my direction, he walks out of the door.

As the sound of the multple engines fades away, I sigh at the empty feeling of dread in my stomach. It snaps as soon as I hear the familiar call that initiates my most painful experiences.

"ALANA!"