116

ARES

"Oh I am thankful. Thankyou for not killing my cousin. Thankyou for being here. Thankyou for spending the day with me even though I know it was such an inconvenience. Infact thankyou for marrying me and keeping me around." Alana fumes, my anger dissipates, giving way to confusion at her sudden outburst.

Thankyou for spending the day with her? What does that even mean-

Oh fuck.

"I know, I just need to look over some urgent paperwork and then I will be all yours again. We were together all day, just give me this time to finish this okay?"

I recall my words from earlier, my eyes shutting at the realization. Thats why she's mad you colossal fuck.

I quickly spin on my heel, immediately spotting her furious form stomping away and start following her. She's wearing heels, she shouldn't be walking that fa-

"Eeep." Alana squeals as she looses her footing and cold panic spikes through me at the mere idea of her hurt. But I catch her, my arms wrapping around her slender waist, her eyes squeezed shut, lips stretched into a grimace in anticipation of her fall that would never come.

Not while Im alive.

"Baby open your eyes." I say, my voice sounding breathless, amusement evident in my voice. Alana peaks an eye open, they both when she realizes her fall has been caught mid air.

"Oh my god." She whispers. "That could've been so much worse." She says, panic evident in her tone, her fingers clutching my arm. Because of the baby. My chest tightens at the thought.

"But it was not. You're okay." I stand her upright again. "Are you hurt?" I give a once over scanning her for any injuries.

"N-no Im fine." she says, stepping out of my hold. "Thankyou." she says, frowning right after. "Can we go home?" She looks at me, her eyes look glossy and scared.

"Ofcourse." I simply agree. No matter how I want to reassure her or comfort her now, I know she's a rattled and I would rather her be comfortable at home when we talk. I collect Ace, inform my parents and thank our hosts all with her by my side, but not talking.

I open Alana's door, guiding her head in with one hand, carrying Ace with my right. Alana seems zoned out so I don't try to talk to her as I put a very sleepy Ace in his car seat.

After they're both situated, I get in myself and the soft purr of the engine is the only sound that fills the car as we reach home. Again, I silently help her out and let her go into our room while I put a now sleeping Ace down, taking off his shoes and changing him into pajamas.

I walk into the room and before I am done closing the door a soft voice interrupts me.

"Im sorry." She whispers. I turn around, looking at her. "I- I was being irrational and I was mean and I almost hurt the baby-" her voice cracks.

I curse under my breath, walking over to where she is sat on the end of the bed.

"No kitten, you did nothing wrong I realise what I said that made you upset and it was a hundred percent my fault for saying something so carelessly worded." She looks at me with eyes filled with tears. My chest stings. "Don't cry baby. I hate that I made you cry." my voice comes out strained as I rub a stray tear away from her cheek.

"You didn't." She sniffles. "I was scared." she whispers, her lips pouting into a frown. I pull her into my arms, engulfing her smaller frame to help ease her worries.

"Nothing bad happened. Nothing will ever harm you or our children as long as I am here. And I will always be here." I squeeze her tight.

"Unless you have paper work." she says after a few minutes of silence. I unexpectedly chuckle, my grip loosening on her.

"No, even then I am all yours, just a little distracted." I kiss her head.

              ____________________

2 months later

"Momma." Ace calls from where he's sitting on our bedroom floor, his superhero toys spread around him.

"Sí." She answers, putting her book down.

We're sitting on our couch, Alana with her legs put up, her feet in my lap while I sit on the other end, my laptop on the arm rest.

"Zio Aaron said you were preg-" he pauses. "Pregwant." he tries. I smile at his odd pronunciation of the word.

"Oh." Alana says, sitting up more. "Pregnant honey. And yes I am. Did you ask him about it?" She inquires.

"I asked him why you look um bumpy." he shrugs, whooshing batmans car across the floor.

Alana frowns, looking down at her 6 months pregnant bump. I reach out to caress it, kissing her hair. Kids.

"And what else did he tell you?" I ask this time.

"He said he can't tell me more or you would be insufferable if mommy gets mad." Ace informs. Alana laughs when my face drops.

"Sure, he can't say pregnant, but insufferable he has no problem with." I curse under my breath making my wife snicker more.

"Okay bug, come here I have something to tell you." Alana gestures him over. He quickly drops his toys, running to where his moms hands are held out for his. "So you know how we went to papa's friends home, and we saw aunty Tia's baby?" she questions.

"Interesting approach." I lean back to enjoy this conversation. Alana elbows me. "Sorry."

"The baby was cute." Ace comments.

"She was, so you know how mommy looks bumpy?" Alana asks making him nod. "That's because I have a baby growing inside of me." Her voice takes on an excited edge.

"Right now?" Ace questions. She nods. "Why is it inside? I want to see." he frowns.

"That's just how it works bug, we have to wait 9 months before we can see the baby." She explains. "We've already waited 6 out of 9." She smiles. "How many do you think are left?" she asks him.

I smile at that. Always thinking to expand his knowledge.

"3 months." Ace says confidently. He isn't in school yet, but Alana has started his education at home already. It's astonishing how she manages to keep it light enough that he never feels pressured but just enough that he's learning things kids hi age usually don't till they are older.

He's much smarter than most children his age though.

"That's right honey. So smart." she touches his nose making him smile.

"Is it a girl?" Ace asks.

"We don't know yet." I inform.

"Can we choose?" he asks, a small frown etching his otherwise soft features.

"No, God blesses us with either." Alana tells him.

"Okay." He shrugs. "Can I go play again?" he asks. We nod at him in unison, and Alana slumps against me after.

"That was scary." she sighs.

"He took it well. And you handled it perfectly." I kiss her temple. She tips her head back and smiles.

"Thankyou." she leans up to kiss me briefly but I deepen it making her laugh.

Tease.