27

ALANA

I had just finished picking out a dress to wear when Ares came out of the door that I assumed was his closet, fixing his cuff links. That had not taken him long at all. It took me longer to get dressed and ready.

He was completely dressed, but I noticed how he had not put on his tie, it was still in his hands. Strange.

"We have breakfast at 8:30 as a family, it would please mama if we went together, so when you are ready, come to me, my study is the door right next to the stairs down the hall, and we can go down together, bene?" he asks making me nod.

"Sí" I say to which he nods then walks out of the door.

When he is gone, I feel safe enough to also get fresh underwear and then I quickly walk towards the bathroom door. My mouth falls open at the sight.

This bathroom is the nicest room I have ever seen

This bathroom is the nicest room I have ever seen. I love how the beautiful big windows light up the room so well. It is a very refreshing feeling.

A smile remains on my lips as I step into the glass doors to take a quick shower. I realize that I do not have any soap of my own here. I spot a bottle of shower gel and decide to use it. It does not smell like flowers like mine had, this one smells like Ares. The scent is earthy but very intoxicating.

Once I am done, I step out and grab a clean towel and wrap it around myself. I also get one for my hair and dry it lightly.

I notice how this house always is much colder than fathers house. Perhaps they like the air conditioning to be cold.

When I am done drying myself, I put on my clothes then walk back outside to the room and grab a pair of sandals and my makeup compact.

I remember the day Brielle had brought me this. She had found me crying about how ugly my freckles were after Katrina and stepmother had laughed at me. She brought me this and had shown me how to use it. If I think about it now, I will miss Brielle very much, I had been too distracted yesterday to say a proper farewell to her. A frown makes its way onto my face thinking how mean I was.

I finish covering up my nose then slip on the same pink heels that my aunt had given me and run a comb through my hair leaving it down to dry. I then walk towards the door like Ares had instructed and knock on it.

 I then walk towards the door like Ares had instructed and knock on it

ARES

I hear a knock on my studies door so I call for whoever it is to enter.

"Uhm sorry, I am ready and it is almost breakfast time" I hear her soft, timid voice making me quickly look up from my laptop's screen. She is standing in the doorway with her hands behind her back, in a floral white dress. Her hair is wet and some pieces fall on her face.

I did not think wet hair was attractive before today. I nod, standing up, taking my phone and tie in my hand before walking over to her. She takes a step back with a scared look making me sigh. I smell her usual perfume on her but I notice the lingering male scent on her.

Fuck she smells like me. I groan a little making her look at me.

I glance at my watch and it reads 8:15.

"I want to talk to you before we go downstairs" I tell her. Her head snaps up to look at me, fear taking over her features. "Can I close the door?" I ask uneasily. I am not used to asking permission to do anything. I usually just do what I want. Her eyes sadden, and she nods, shakily walking further into the room.

"I should not have taken out my anger on you like that." I say. Her head shoots up again, this time her face has a surprised look. "I am used to doing whatever I want, it is how I have lived all of my life. But I understand that you are a woman and that you have to be treated a certain way." I continue. My demeanor remains collected and I am sure she cannot tell how uncomfortable this is making me.

"So I would like it if we were to get passed last night, and if you were not so jittery around me. It is unsettling for me and would not pose well infront of people if you were to appear scared of your husband." I explain to her. Her eyes remain on me, still surprised and unsure. "Rest assured, I do not hit women, especially not my wife, it would be out of question." I tell her.

She doesn't respond. She stands there frozen in place, her expression now trepidatious.

"Does that ease your mind?" I ask her. What the fuck is wrong with me, I sound like such a wimp. She blinks several times.

"S-sí, mi dispiace di essere così spaventato, non stavo cercando di farti sentire a disagio" She says in flawless italiano. Fuck that sounded good.
(I am sorry for being so scared I was not trying to make you feel uncomfortable)

I nod at her then open the door again.

"And you do not have to wait for me to walk before you do, it should be the other way around" I say, looking down at her.

"But the mannerisms teacher-"

"That is for the Don, I am not the Don yet and when I claim the title, I would still be your husband and a gentleman. So please, ladies first" I motion for her to step out. She skeptically takes a few steps then looks back at me, biting her lip. I nod to reassure her which seems to work as we walk down the stairs together to the dining room.