30

ARES

"Why is she sleeping at such an odd hour?" I ask mama when we walk towards the sitting room.

"Well we were out shopping all day! And then we had to set up her closet aswell, I assume that took alot out of her, she is rather small" Mama comments, fluffing up a pillow. "Caro I would like to speak to you about something, I hope you do not take offense by this.." she trails off. This makes my interest peak as I sit up.

"Ofcourse Ma, what is it?" I ask.

"I had not meant to pry or snoop, but I noticed the bed in your spare room was slept in" She says. This makes me shift back to a more relaxed position. It is not that serious.

"Well," I pause trying to think of what to say.

"Now I do not want to dictate your life, but you are married to her now, you cannot avoid each other forever. A spouse is supposed to be your support, and I understand that you are strangers and it is hard to get used to eachother. But your chances of ever getting along will be very short if you don't try" she looks sad, her expression that soft one she has when she is hopeful.

All I want is to give this woman happiness. I have seen her struggle too much and I refuse to be the root of her worries.

"Mama," I sigh. "Okay, I won't go to the other room anymore" I tell her. She gives me a beautiful loving smile than a strong kiss on the head.

"I got to know her today, you won't believe the life that poor baby has had" She shakes her head in disapproval.

"Oh?" I ask, intrigued now.

"Did you know she was not allowed to leave her house? At first when she told me that she didn't leave the house I thought she had not liked to. But I found out her father and stepmother would not let her go anywhere!" she says exasperatedly. "She was homeschooled like you so she had no friends and they didn't let her even shop for necessities! Her clothes were limited, that is so unfair to a child! And she does not have a cell phone! She was only allowed to use her computer when she was doing her college classes, how very strange is that?" Mama seems angry now.

"And I just know that Anita did not mean well, her and the consigliere had made such a scandal. His first wife Celine was truly a woman of God. She had the patience of a saint. It was so very unfortunate when she had passed on. I had always thought about her daughter." She sighs sadly again. "I just hope I can help heal some of the pain of her childhood." She says. I just nod, not knowing what else to say.

I do not understand why Alana had endured all of that. Had it been anyone else, I would assume this was all a lie. But when you look at her and have a conversation with her, you truly realize how sheltered she has been to the worlds offerings.

She continues to tell me everything unfair that happened to Alana in her life and I quitely listen, knowing mama is possibly more upset then she is letting on.

Soon it is dinner time and mama asks me to wake Alana. I walk towards the living room but before I can enter, I hear her scream loudly which makes me rush in, my hand on my gun pulling it out.

But I see Griff standing there with a guilty expression and Alana sitting on the couch, her hand clutched to her chest.

Griffin looks up at me with the same sorry look.

"I think I scared her." He tells me. I look back at her to see her breathing heavily, her chest rising and falling rapidly.

"What the fuck happened?" I ask walking closer to her, putting my gun back into the holster, sending a glare in his direction.

"It was not your fault, I am sorry I screamed, I was just surprised to see you as soon as I woke up and y-you have the uhm, the gun" She says a little breathless pointing at the glock in Griffin's hand which makes him immediately tuck it away in his pants.

"Why the fuck do you have your gun out in here?" I ask him as I offer Alana a hand so she can get up.

"I am sorry I was pissed of at this puttana outside and then-" he stops not knowing what else to say.

"I am sorry for screaming so loud, it is your house you should be able to be however you want, I suppose I am just extra jumpy." She says to him politely. He smiles at her.

Smiles. Griffin has never fucking smiled at anyone. The most he does is a crooked smirk.

"grazie Lana, but I will be extra careful for your extra jumpy" he says with a wink before he smirks at me then leaves the room. Lana?

Fucking assholes always fucking flirting with her. Have they never seen a woman before what is wrong with these bastards.

"Are you," I pause, the words of concern seem to be chocked in my throat. I just cannot say them.

"Im fine, thankyou." She says with a smile. "Its dinner time" She tells me awkwardly to which I react by stopping staring at her.

"Sí, come" I lead her to the dining room.

"Im sorry I fell asleep earlier mama" She almost whispers for only mama to hear but I was right next to her.

"Don't be, you look adorable when you sleep" She says with a laugh which makes her cheeks turn red.