38

ARES

After working on some more things, I decided to go check on Damon and Alana. He had gone to my room to see if she had eaten a while ago and had not returned yet.

When I enter our room, I see her holding her cup of tea as they both sit there and talk. She looks to be smiling as he rambles on in his usual manner. When they notice me, her smile fades and Damon stands up.

"Well Lana, this was fun but I have some work to get done before nightfall so I am going to head out, you should sleep." he says to her. Her expression turns worried as she gives him a deepening frown. When he goes to move away, her hand shoots out grabbing his which makes him turn to her.

My hands twitch to pull them apart but I refrain, choosing to clench them to curb the urge. He leans down and whispers something to her which makes her shoulders slump. She then nods hesitantly and lets him go.

He walks over, giving me a look that seems to understand my feelings then pats my back before he leaves. Alana is playing with her hands, avoiding eye contact completely. I don't want to make her uncomfortable so I decide to just leave aswell.

"I am going to work. You should sleep, get some rest. I will be back later tonight." I say, knowing she probably wishes I won't come back at all.

With one last look at her small, fragile body, and her abused neck, I walk out.

~

I had stayed out as late as I could trying to give Alana the most amount of of time to herself without feeling scared. I had spent the day unable to say much.

After the initial blow of my own wife despising me had gone over, I had been thinking about her words this morning. I could not shake the thoughts of her thinking it was her fault.

Come to think of it, she had even apologized. Sure she was scared, but she was not angry. She looked at me with fear but not resentment or hatred. She was disappointed but there was no trace of surprise.

Any normal person would have screamed, called their father, left. But she was still there wasn't she. It took me all day to realize that was not a normal reaction to what I did.

Why isn't she upset? Causing a scene? Why haven't I received a single call from mama or her Father? I will have to look into this.

As I walk into the house, a maid walks over to me bowing first then waiting for me to let her talk. I nod.

"The young Mrs. has asked me to let you know that she has slept in the guest room tonight. She has said that if you are not pleased I can wake her and-"

"No, that wont be necessary, did she take her medicine?" I ask to which she nods. I dismiss her and walk up to my room. I change and crash into the bed, needing to sleep off whatever reverie I have been in.

ALANA

It has been 2 days since the incident. Ares and I have not spoken to each other since. We barely see one another, I am staying in a separate room that is outside of his chambers, not even the same floor. And he is out of the house for most of the day so it is not likely that we would see alot of the other.

I woke up today, like the past few days, and walked over into his room to get some clothes.

I expected to find the room empty like everyday but I see Ares standing there, using his phone. He looks up at me and starts walking in my direction making me freeze. I snap back into reality and take many steps backwards till I hit the door.

"Alana." he greeted making me take in a deep breath at the sound of his voice.

"Buon giorno." I greet. No answer comes from him which makes me look up at his face. He looks very tired, his eyes lingering on my bruised neck and become more dull. His eyes are less commanding than usual aswell and he seems to be distracted. "Is everything okay?" I ask him. He looks at my mouth for a second which I find odd. His eyes trail down my body, maybe noticing that I am wearing a night dress I haven't before. But it is unlikely.

He then nods.

"Sí, can we talk?" he asks surprising me. I do not think he has ever asked me anything. I nod quickly.

"I know what I did that night was horrible. It will be a burden on my conscious that I was the source of your pain and a grotesque bruise on your untainted skin." he starts. I feel myself become uneasy and shift on my feet in his burning gaze. "I am a man with many flaws, it is why I had not wished to get married, I do not trust myself to be the guardian of someone fragile like yourself. You deserve a better husband." He says, his voice sounding strained.

I frown at the traces of pain lacing his words, my heart hurting as I think about him and that he might be recalling his sister. And a strange feeling of contempt at the thought of someone else being my husband.

"I am also a man who is painfully prideful and very stubborn and emotions and rationality do not come easy to me." he says, exhaling. I am confused as to why he is saying these things. "So you have to know, the reason I have not done this yet is because it doesn't come as easily to me as it might to other people. Like that scimmia Damon." he curses some more under his breath.

"I am sorry."

My eyes widen at the words. I feel the world around us slow and the room feels like it is filled with thicker air. I am looking at him with utter shock painting my face and his face looks very uncomfortable.

He apologized? To me? But I am not important. He couldn't possibly get anything out of apologizing to me. Why?

"Alana?" He asks breaking me out of my trance. My lips part looking at him, I do not know what to say.

"Y-you, you did not have to apologize to me. You are my husband, I have to respectfully endure what you give me." I tell him. It was all I could think of to say was the teachings of mannerisms.

"No, you're a human being and a far better one than me. You don't have to endure shit. You have my word, I will never loose control like that again. You have to know this, I was not in my conscious mind thinking that I was hurting you. If I had been aware I would never do it. I would never knowingly inflict pain or harm upon you." he says taking a step closer. I do not move away.

I do not see reason to. He has apologized. Everyone deserves to be given a second chance and be treated with forgiveness.

"Do you believe me?" he asks. I see a look of vulnerability in his eyes but it is gone as quickly as it had come.

I nod. I do believe him. His face looks like I have relieved him of a very large burden.

"Grazie poca pecora." he says. I smile at him, staring back into his eyes like he is into mine. For a few minutes, we just stand there, not speaking or looking away.
(thankyou little sheep)

His phone chimes making us break our stare and I look down at my hands. Why do I feel like I need to tinkle?

"I have to head to work." he says but doesn't move so I look up at him.

"Okay" I whisper, watching his lips twitch before he nods and walks out.

I feel my chest fill with glee. I feel the shift in my relationship with him. How he was kinder today. How we spoke like equals. It was wonderful.