21

ALANA

I sneeze for the fifth time as the makeup lady shakes her head. My god they had not used this much powder the other two times I got this done.

"Oh mon Dieu, you are quite the girl aan?" she asks in a thick french accent as she starts putting even more powder on my face.

I cannot believe that with the stress of getting married I have to carry a dress that weighs the same as me and makeup on my face that feels unnatural.

"I am sorry, the powder is hurting my nose" I complain. She shakes her head then starts to do something to my eyes.

"I will put ze lashes on now, d'accord?" she asks confusing me.

"But I already have lashes, why would you need to put them on?" I ask curiously. The man doing my hair snickers then continues spraying and using the curling iron. It is bizarre that I did not know what these items were or did and now it seems like every other night they are being used on me.

Maybe I should learn to do this myself, it must not be very cheap to have these people come make me presentable every time I have to go somewhere.

Well but I think it is okay to have them do it on my wedding. I have read about how special weddings are. And expensive. They sound magical in books. I have not seen one myself.

I am at the venue of my own wedding right now. They had a brides room, conveniently, where I am getting ready. I had read that there were supposed to be bridesmaids at a wedding. But I do not have any friends or sisters.

Except for Katrina. But she thinks I stole her chance to live a "Barbie" lifestyle. I used to have barbies when I was younger. They were very pretty. But stepmother threw them out. She said I did not deserve pretty things.

I look down at my hands nervously, but get distracted by the pretty nails. They had come in and done my nails for me. They look very nice, my hands have never looked so good.

My thoughts are interrupted by Lani, the hair guy, telling me that I could now turn back around. He was doing something to my hair that required me to face away from the mirror.

As soon as I turn, I look at myself in the mirror and for a second, I do not recognize the girl sitting there. She looks beautiful. Her hair is perfect and her eyes look bright and life like. She does not show an image of a broken, helpless person. But one of a person who could be happy.

I smile at the sight, watching the girl in the mirror look even prettier with the look of happiness in her eyes.

I never knew looking pretty could make me happy.

"Is this why you had to put lashes on me? So my eyes looked so big? To make me pretty?" I ask the woman. She smiles at me.

"No mon chèri, you are beautiful that is why you look magnifique with my makeup on you. It is true, Eloise can make almost anyone pretty but I did not even have to try, you are already stunning." She says then casually starts packing her bag. As if she did not just almost make me believe that what my father and stepmother have been telling me all my life is not true.

Before I have more time to dwell on Eloise's words, Brielle, who had been helping me all day was rushing me to get dressed. She helped me put on the very heavy dress then she tightened it at the back. As I stepped back into the room I noticed mama had gotten here.

"Oh Dios Mio" she gasps loudly. "Alana you look radiant! Gorgeous cara, I cannot believe how beautiful you are" she gushes rushing over to me. She carefully gives me a pat on the cheek then asks me to sit.

They fix my veil on and switch my earrings to these very delicate long ones that Mama had brought. I also slip into the beautiful heels.

"Your stepmother and sister are not here?" she asks which makes me look at her.

"N-no I do not think they want to be here" I tell her. She frowns but brushes the topic off.

"Alright well, you are almost there, it is tradition that the future Donna walks down the isle by herself, and the isle is quite long, I have just seen it so, just take a deep breath and keep your eyes on the altar. Xander will be there and he will help you up if you need it okay?" She continues to give me instructions and reassurances.

I soon feel myself go numb as my ears ring. Im getting married.

The Outfit: