15

ALANA

I see Xander dangerously eyeing my exposed chest making me pull up my dress to cover it up. I look up at him for approval to which he nods.

He steps back, offering me his arm which I take as he leads me to the grand doors of the home.

I am feeling a sense of relief at the thought of father not being here tonight. I shouldn't, it is a mean thought and a sign of an ungrateful daughter. But the thought of him not being around to catch me doing something he deems unfit, the thought of not having to tiptoe around makes me feel like I am flying in the open sky.

Like a bird.

Incidentally, I had not realized before today that I would no longer be living with them. I would not have to go to sleep with the fear of when a maid would wake me and tell me I had angered father and that he wished to see me.

Or be afraid to go to the east wing reading room from mine.

But it will not be alot different. Xander hates me just like Father does. He is being forced to take me as a wife. Just like Father was forced to accept me as a child.

I shake of the thoughts that make my heart feel heavy and think about something positive.

I am sure the House of the Godfather has rules, so I will try to follow them to my best ability. Since I am no longer a child, I can help the matter of the opinions that the people there form of me. Maybe if I am good, they will not hate me.

"Alana." I hear my fiancé say making me quickly jerk, my body tensing up.

"I apologize for d-dozing off, I did n-not mean it" I say hoping I had not made him mad.

He gives me a stern look, but before he can say more, a tall, rather good looking man approaches us.

I had never noticed before how attractive being tall can be. I am unfortunately very short.

"Hades" the man smiles as he stops just a few steps away from me, he came from that direction so he is closer to me then he is to Xander.

Hades? I have read many books on Greek mythology, I had always thought that the God Hades was my favorite.

"Will you not introduce me, coglionè?" He says in an amused tone, looking over at me. His face softens at me so I smile at him. "Omule, ea este destul de vedere, eh"  his last sentence is a different language. It is not Italiano. My brief knowledge leads me to believe it is Romanian but I could not be sure.
(Man she is quite the sight eh)

"Nu te uita naibii la ea așa, fiule de cățea" My fiancé spits with venom in the same language, his arm squeezing a little harder around mine. I slightly wince at my engagement ring digging into my finger but suppress the hiss. Don't be pathetic, dolore. My fathers words ring in my ears.
(Don't fucking look at her like that you son of a bitch)

"Woah, calmati loverboy, you're hurting the misses" the man comments making my eyes widen. Oh no.

"What-" Xander looks down at me his eyes questioning but I quickly shake my head.

"I am fine, Alana Colombo, it is a pleasure to meet you Sir." I say putting on a brave face and a polite smile.

The etiquette of greeting. I took that lesson when I was 13.

"Please do not call me so formally Ms. Colombo, trust me, the pleasure is mine, what an honor it is to be graced by your beauty tonight. Who knew my parents' anniversary would invite such-"

"That is enough Damon" Xander again, says the words coldly. I am now fully blushing at his extensive description of pleasantries and pressing myself into my fiancé.

I can tell Damon is only joking but I am hardly used to even making light conversations with people, nevermind receiving compliments. It is very embarrassing. Especially since it is not true.

"Alana, this is Damon Romano, he is the son of our hosts tonight, and a friend of mine, although I am losing sight of why I talk to this stronzo." My fiancé introduces. I look back at him, collecting myself as I smile politely, ignoring how they casually address eachother with curse words.

Perhaps that is how friends are supposed to act.

"Thankyou for having us Mr. Romano" I say willing my voice to not squeak. I do not know why I am unable to recover from the embarrassment.

"It is a pleasure Alana, truly, please call me Damon. And I am sorry for being so forward I was trying to rouse a reaction out of this one, which I think we can all agree I was successful in" He smiles with a cocky look on his face. I let out a soft laugh but instantly stop myself and freeze.

I look up at Xander to find him looking at me with curiosity.

Damon's smile widens and he laughs too.

"Anyways, I am greatful you could join us, please, enjoy your night, I will see you sooner than you think" He says then with a cheeky wink at me and a smug look at Xander he is gone.

"Figlio di puttana" Xander spits making me duck my head. He swears alot. It's not nice.
(Son of a bitch)

"Come let's find my parents, Mama had wanted to see you" He says, leading me through the crowds, with different people bowing in his direction.

It is weird to be walking next to the future Don. It's not awful though.