Part 2

Haechan opens the door of the house he knows so well. He puts his bag on the edge of the couch after taking off his shoes at the entrance. He sees Jeno sitting on the couch, watching TV.

Jeno still lives with his parents because his university is nearby, saving them housing expenses that they already spend on Johnny's apartment. But Jeno already plans to move in with his girlfriend next year.

Jeno turns and sees Haechan sitting beside him.

"It's late," says Jeno. "Did you stay at the library after school again?"

"Try attending classes in Korean," Donghyuck sighs. "It's hard to understand everything at once."

"I can help you if you want," Jeno smiles.

Donghyuck thanks him with a smile. Jeno is one of the only people he allows to have physical contact. Jeno is like a reassuring older brother; he feels safe around him.

Jeno is the only person he has dared to tell that he likes men. He has never dared to tell anyone else here; he knows Jeno will never reproach him for it.

Donghyuck has had a few relationships with men. Sometimes, they both go to parties, and Jeno finds his friend on the laps of other men, passionately kissing. He says nothing, having grown up in a family and among friends who are open-minded and gay  it doesn't bother him.

He even encourages Donghyuck to find his ideal man. But many times, he disapproves of his friend's choices. Donghyuck tends to go for men who don't treat him well, who hurt him. Jeno knows it's because of everything he has been through in the past; he thinks it's a normal way to be treated.

"Is Johnny back?" Haechan asks.

"He'll be here in a few minutes," Jeno replies, "rest a bit before you get back to studying."

After that, Jeno pulls Donghyuck towards him; the younger one leans his back against Jeno's chest, relaxing at the contact. The two watch television quietly. Jeno always chooses movies with Korean subtitles; he knows it helps Donghyuck relax.

"You'll be on vacation soon, right? School will be over soon?" Jeno asks.

"Can you repeat that? I didn't understand," Donghyuck asks, concentrating on the subtitles.

Jeno was about to repeat, but Johnny arrives. He strokes his brother's hair before turning off the TV, making the two other boys grumble.

"Jeno, you have exams to study for, and Hyuck, we have work to do," Johnny says. "Your final exam is in three months, and your writing isn't perfect yet."

"I'll revise tomorrow," Jeno grumbles.

"No, now. Tomorrow, you'll go out again and forget to study," Johnny says.

Jeno sighs; he knows his brother is right, so he goes to fetch his things and studies in the living room. Johnny sits next to Donghyuck; the latter starts taking out his books. He looks really tired; then again, Donghyuck has always had that tired look on his face.

Johnny would like to ask him about his country, what he might have seen. But he has never dared, afraid that it might upset him or bring back bad memories.

"You look tired," Johnny says.

"A bit," Donghyuck replies. "But I can hold on until my exam."

Johnny nods and continues teaching English to Donghyuck. He learns fast; Johnny keeps explaining some grammar rules. But Donghyuck struggles with reading comprehension.

Speaking orally doesn't bother him much anymore, but his reading is slow, and he gets confused with the meanings of words. By the time he reaches the end of a sentence, he has forgotten the beginning. Unfortunately, all his tests involve reading, so he has to progress quickly.