Chapter 18

Zendaya

Missed the boat. To act too slowly and miss an opportunity.

Wednesday morning, and I'm hurrying along with a cup of coffee in my hand. I was on my way to the coffee shop where I work to grab this coffee. It's not for me; rather, I'll give it to someone who earns it. By doing so, I'm expressing my apologies and appreciation that she took good care of me despite the fact that I ran when I woke up.

"Since when did you become a fan of drinking hot coffee in the morning? Oh, let me reiterate what I have said. Kelan ka pa naging fan ng pag-inom ng kape? Diba ayaw mo yan?" Cleo suddenly appeared next to me. Pinauna ko na siya pumasok, kasi sabi ko may dadaanan pa ako. Pero, ito mukhang hinintay pa rin ako. Hindi ata 'to makakapasok nang wala ako.

"It's not for me." I answered her using my monotone voice. We are currently walking inside the campus. It's Wednesday, and we have a morning class with Professor Ansaldó.

"Edi, para sa akin yan? How sweet of you, my dear cousin!" She happily said to me. I glare at her. As if I'm going to make an effort to stop by the coffee shop just to buy her a coffee. Naur way!

"In your dreams, Cleopatra." I rolled my eyes at her. I look at my watch at napagtanto kong 3 minutes nalang at magsisimula na yung first class namin with Professor Ansaldó. Mas binilisan ko pa ang paglalakad. I will give this to her before entering the classroom. Ayaw ko ng issue 'no.

"Hoy! Teka naman! Parang hindi pinsan, ah!" Cleo shouted at me, not minding at all. Bahala siya. I'll deal with her later. I have to give this to Professor Ansaldó.

While walking down the corridor, I saw Professor Ansaldó chatting with another person. Who is this guy? I slowed down for a moment and tightened my grip on the coffee in my hand. I realized the guy was being annoying in my sight. He bursts out laughing like there's no tomorrow. Professor Ansaldó, to my surprise, smiled at me. I'm about to leave when Cleo appears in front of me.

"Oh, sa'yo na yan." Masungit kong saad dito. Sabay alok nung kape na hawak ko. Agad naman, 'tong nagtaka sa ginawa ko ngayon.

"I thought you're going to give it to someone?" Takang tanong nito sa akin. Cleo is being serious right now. She knows when I'm not in the mood.

"It's yours now. Drink before it gets cold." I answered her and started to walk again to the papuntang classroom. Sumabay naman siya sa paglalakad sa akin. Nang malapit na kami sa pwesto nina Professor Ansaldó ay binati niya agad ito. Tsk!

"Good morning, Professor Ansaldó," Cleo greeted with a smile. Hindi ko sila binati at hindi na rin ako nag-abala pang tapunan ng tingin si Professor Ansaldó. I don't care. Wala na ako sa mood! Aga-aga ay gano'n ang makikita ko. What an eyesore!

"Morning too. Enter the room now; we're about to start," she said to Cleo. Nanuna na akong pumasok at umupo sa pwesto ko. Napansin ko naman na nandito na si Vivienne, nagbabasa ng libro. Aga naman ata nito?

"So, early mo naman, Viv?" I said to her. She lowered the book before answering me.

"Sumabay ako kay ate, eh. Morning pala!" Vivienne answered and greeted me. I nodded at her as a response.

"Bakit ang sungit mo kay Prof.?" Cleo whispered at me. Bumulong pa, pero parang hindi lang naman ako yung nakarinig, tsk!

"Nothing," I answered, shrugging off my shoulder.