Part 3

Damon and Emma met up with the boys and Katherine at a gas station that was on the way out of town. The car ride there was cold and silent, neither of them knowing how to say that they understood why their argument had gone too far.

Just before Emma got out of the car Damon grabbed Emma's arm, "Be careful, don't drop your guard."

Emma nodded, "I know."

Damon fought against himself to pull her back into the car and not let her go. He knew he had gone too far at the quarry, he was all too aware that he pushed her away; but he let her go, her hand slipping out of his almost in slow motion before she closed the door and jogged off to Matt's truck.

"Hey guys," Emma greeted the boys with a smile as she jumped into the front passenger seat, shoving her argument with Damon to the back of her head.

"Oh good, Silas's battery is joining us," Katherine groaned as soon as she saw Emma and sniffled, "don't you think it's a bad idea to have the two people that Silas wants in the same place?"

"Are you sick?" Emma looked back Katherine curiously as she heard her clear her throat.

Katherine turned her head to glare out the window. Emma looked at Jeremy who only shrugged clueless.

"I hate to say it, but she kinda has a point," Matt pointed out Katherine's objection.

Emma sighed, "Silas doesn't need me, otherwise he would have me already. It's not like I've been hiding from him."

"But don't you make him stronger?" Jeremy leaned up and asked from the backseat.

Emma shrugged, unbothered, "I'm pretty sure he is saving me for whatever big thing he is planing, but he also knows I have no intention of letting him even try, so he doesn't need me on a short leash."

"If we were smart we would send both you and Katherine far away," Matt looked over at Emma as she frowned at him.

"I'm not going anywhere," Emma insisted.

Matt couldn't help but smile, "I know."

Katherine coughed again, "I need to pee while we are here, like in the bathroom, like a lady."

"You grew up in like five hundred BC right? You can wait and pee in the woods like everyone else," Emma quipped with a smirk, Matt couldn't hold back a snicker.

Katherine glared at her, "My throat is really scratchy, and my head hurts, like, right here; when I cough, it's green. So, at least get me some stuff for all that."

"Fine, I'll pump gas," Jeremy relented and started to undo the bindings that were holding her wrist together, "Emma can take you to the bathroom; Matt, go get her cold medicine."

"Preferably something that will knock her ass out," Emma winked.

Everyone bailed from the truck, Jeremy stayed by the pump and topped off the gas tank before they headed out.

As Matt set down the cold medicine on the counter he looked out the window to see Katherine bolting from the bathroom that was on the side of the building, Emma was hot on her heels.

The clerk looked up at the commotion outside, "Is that Elena Gilbert or Katherine Pierce?"

Matt's eyes got wide and he reached for the door, "Jeremy!"

Jeremy looked up to see Katherine attempting to escape and he ran to help Emma catch her. As soon as he could reach her arm, he pulled her to the ground.

"Stop running!" He commanded her.

Emma turned when she heard a struggle behind her. Matt was trying to wrestle a shotgun away from the store clerk. As she started running to help him, she sent a wave of heat towards the clerk to distract them, it gave Matt the advantage he needed and he managed to get the gun away and used the butt end to knock into the clerk's head, knocking them out.