Part 32

Tears streamed freely down Emma's face, she was unable to deny their existence any longer. She had balled herself up as tightly as she could and hid her face in her crossed arms. She scolded herself for not being stronger than she was. For not practicing as much as she should have with her powers. For being too afraid that knowing too much would put others in danger.

At a time when she needed to be her strongest, she felt her weakest.

She suddenly heard voices outside of her cell. One of them belonged to Wes, the other was a deep voice with a heavy British accent.

"Enzo?" Emma called out from her cell.

She heard Enzo step closer to door, "Little bird?"

Another sob racked Emma as she began to plead for him to help her, "Please, Enzo. Don't leave me here."

"Let's take this somewhere else," Wes suggested, sensing Enzo's hesitation.

Emma heard footsteps getting further and further away.

"Enzo!" Emma screamed as she began banging on the door frantically, "Enzo! Help me!"

________

Hours had passed since Enzo had left Damon at the farmhouse. Damon sat in a dining room chair and stared up at the ceiling, feeling sorry for himself. He had torn the house apart in his rage, but now there was nothing left but piles of once beautiful things, once priceless heirlooms; now all broken into pieces on the floor, now all ready to be swept up and thrown away.

His head perked up as he heard the sound of a car pull up, at first hopeful, but he was quickly pulled back into despair. He knew that sound. A 1963 Porsche, and not just any Porsche, a 356B Karmann Coupe. Stefan was here.

Damon pulled himself up off of the chair and faced the front door, anticipating the thirst that was about to overwhelm him. All he could do now was hope that he could make them stay behind the barrier and look at him as if he were a caged animal.

"Damon!" Stefan called out.

Damon stayed silent, he hoped that they would think he was gone. But his car outside would lead them to at least investigate the house. He saw Elena first as she stepped up to the front door.

"Elena don't!" Damon put his arm out towards her to ward her off, but she ignored him and stepped closer to the barrier that surrounds the house, "I said don't! If you come in here you aren't getting out."

Stefan hesitated at the doorway, "Where is Emma?"

"That bastard Wes has her!" Damon's rage began to get the better of him.

"What the hell happened?" Stefan asked alarmed.

"I wanted revenge. I stupidly let Emma get in the damn car. I wasn't able to protect her. I got stuck with a vampire virus. I almost killed my last friend," Damon rattled off his recent list of failures, "typical Damon. But you have to go find Emma!"

"Enzo sent us the address," Elena drew Damon's attention back to her, "we're here to help you."

Damon became frantic, "You can't help me! I feed on vampires now. You're both vampires. Leave and go help Emma!"

"Look," Stefan tried to reason with his brother, "let's get you out of here and then we can figure this out together, okay?"

Damon lost control of himself, he charge towards Stefan and Elena, only being stopped by the boundary spell. He pounded on the invisible wall in frustration.

Stefan crossed his arms, "I'm not afraid of you Damon. This isn't my first rodeo with you."

Damon turned away from his brother as he tried to come up with another way to make him understand that he couldn't be helped this time. That his focus was better put into finding Emma. As he turned around he noticed that Elena had stepped over the boundary and into the house.