Part 48

"I guess Enzo bought it?" Stefan asked Damon as he gazed into the fireplace, wondering what their next move should be.

Damon's eyebrow raised, "Bought what?"

"Bringing him back?" Stefan turned to face his brother and crossed his arms, "How exactly do you plan to do that?"

"Markos found his way back," Damon shrugged, "it's not impossible unless you want him terrorizing us for the rest of eternity."

"Not particularly," Stefan sighed, "look, I know that-"

Damon wound his arm back and let it fly forward, punching Stefan in the face and knocking him back slightly.

"Had to do that for Enzo," Damon told him, "and that's the last you'll hear about it from me."

Stefan nodded, understanding. He wiped his face as he straightened himself out.

"How is Emma holding up?" Stefan asked.

"Shutting down, again," Damon sat down on the arm of the chair next to him and rubbed his face, defeated, "and I don't know how to help her."

"What about Elijah?"

"What about him? Am I supposed to call him every time she has a break down? I'm about to marry her. If I can't deal with this on my own, how can I ever call myself a good husband?"

Damon felt odd letting his brother see this side of him. A side that even Emma had only ever caught a glimpse of.

"Can't you replicate her mother's garden in her head?" Stefan asked.

Before Damon could answer, Emma stormed through the room and left out the front door. Stefan and Damon looked at each other, confused. Damon stood and ran after her.

Emma was almost to the tree line by the time Damon caught up with her and grabbed her arm to turn her around to face him. She yanked her arm back without a word and continued on her war path.

"Em, what's going on?" Damon grabbed her arm again and turned her to face him, "Talk to me."

Emma yanked her arm back but didn't walk away. Instead she pulled her Phoenix ring off and threw it into the woods before looking back at Damon.

"Why in the hell did you do that?" Damon asked.

"Because it makes me weak, and that weakness almost got you killed," she replied with her teeth gritted.

"No, Em, that isn't-"

"Yes!" Emma interrupted him, "Yes it is. I was more than capable of controlling those flames, and I couldn't bring myself out of my own head enough to do it. I almost lost you because I was too afraid of myself."

"Afraid of what exactly?"

"I don't want it to happen again. Whatever it was that happened at the warehouse, I don't want to do that again. I can't loose control like that again. Whatever happened was so powerful that it rocked the mystical community everywhere. What happens when they find me? If I can generate that much power, what is gonna stop them from trying to use me?"

Damon pulled Emma into him, "I'm gonna stop them."

"Damon," Emma held back tears, "there are some things that you just can't stop."