Part 7

After taking a moment to collect herself at the entrance to the graveyard, Emma started looking for Damon and Stefan. It didn't take her long to find them along with Elena.

"What kind of name is 'Honoria Fell'?" Stefan asked.

"Shh," Damon looked around as if someone who knew them back then would react, "you're kind of the one that killed her."

Stefan's brow raised for a moment, "Oh."

Emma caught up with them just as they were entering the Salvatore mausoleum.

"Hey, did you go visit Katie's and Alaric's graves yet?" Damon asked as she walked up to them.

"Uh, no. Can I talk to you?" Emma whispered as she started playing with her hair.

Damon's head cocked to the side, he knew that meant something was bothering her, "Yeah, of course."

Stefan stopped him before he could leave with Emma, "Anybody in here I didn't kill?"

Damon took a moment to point out the graves to him, "Well, we've covered our father, who art in hell. Uncle Zach, my bad. On the bright side, our mother died of consumption."

"Oh good," Stefan said sarcastically while still emotionless.

Damon turned to Elena, "Can you babysit for a minute?"

Elena nodded and Damon took the opportunity to catch up with Emma. She was sitting by her sister's grave, pulling up the grass that had grown over the small headstone.

"What's going on?" Damon kneeled next to her at Alaric's grave.

A tear finally escaped and Emma shook her head to pull herself back together.

"Woah, Em," Damon's eyes widened when he saw her begin to fall apart, he pulled her into his chest, "what happened?"

"Bonnie...she's..." Emma's voice shook slightly and she had to pause to catch herself.

"What?" Damon understood, but he didn't want to believe it, "No...Jeremy just said-"

"He has been lying all summer," Emma almost hesitated to implicate Jeremy, but Damon needed to know the whole truth, "when she brought Jeremy back, the magic had to balance itself out."

"But..."

"Bonnie is dead, Damon," Emma looked up at Damon sadly, tears threatening to fall.

His heart felt broken. He pulled Emma into him tighter as if he was using her to ground himself.

Damon let out a sad sigh, "Elena and Caroline can watch Stefan, let's get out of here."

"Caroline is here?" Emma asked, her voice cracking at the idea of having to break the news to more people.

"Yeah," Damon confirmed, "we can tell them later. Let everyone enjoy themselves for another minute.

Emma followed him with her motorcycle back to the boarding house and then followed him inside silently.

Damon went over to his bar to fix himself a drink. He raised a glass towards Emma to offer her one, but she shook her head before sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace.

"I'm already having a hard enough time with control," she explained, closing her eyes to shut out the world a little bit, "I don't want to make it worse."

Damon nodded in understanding. His phone began to ring and he let out a sigh of frustration.

"Hey! Where are you?" Elena complained on the other end of the line, "I've been calling."