Part 41

"Does your mysteriously missing girlfriend know how insufferable you are? Maybe that's why you haven't found her. She doesn't want to be found," Damon razzed Enzo as they were playing pool in the Grill.

Emma popped up on the stool next to the table they were playing at, "Ooo, Ginger Spice has a mystery girlfriend? And she is missing? I'm invested."

Damon snorted a quick laugh and leaned against the table Emma sat at, he briefly kissed her before turning back to his game.

"I haven't found her because the Travelers, my only lead, decided to play a fun game of spontaneous combustion before giving me what they promised," Enzo explained, annoyed.

"Damn," Emma grimaced, "I knew they offed themselves but I wasn't told how they did it. If that's what they wanted I could have done that faster than them collecting blood from Stef and Elena."

"Hey Em," Matt walked up to the group with a tray and several drinks on top, he handed Enzo and Damon glasses of bourbon before he turned to Emma, "need anything?"

"Not yet, but I do have a question," Emma jumped off the stool and walked with Matt back to the bar, "did you put vervain in the coffee recently?"

Matt looked confused, "No, why?"

"Because, Elijah tried to compel someone earlier and he couldn't, and now I'm out of explanations because she isn't someone I recognize as being in the 'in' crowd," Emma explained.

"Umm," Matt looked worried as he looked around the room as if he was paranoid of everyone in it, "follow me."

Matt led her into the bathroom and locked it behind him, he checked the stall to make sure no one else was in the room.

"What's with all the covert moves Matt? What's going on?" He had Emma worried.

"Liv's coven thinks the Travelers are moving in on Mystic Falls," Matt explained.

Emma looked at him confused, "Yeah, we kinda guessed that already, but I haven't seen any of them. Plus, they kinda turned themselves to ash, so...problem solved?"

Matt shook his head and continued whispering, "No, they put themselves into other people."

"Holy shit," Emma's eyes went wide, "how do we fight something like that?"

"With the Traveler's knife, it kills the passenger without killing the person they are in. But Tyler has it," Matt explained.

"We should probably head to the bridal boutique too. Elijah couldn't compel one of the sales girls," Emma started to pull him out of the bathroom.

"Caroline called me earlier," Matt started to explain his plan, "we need to start with the Sheriff."

"Sounds good," Emma opened the door and bumped right into Liz, "uhh, hey Sheriff, we were just about to look for you."

"Yeah, Caroline said you missed lunch," Matt added.

"Well, here I am," Liz gave them both an unsettling smile, "you mentioned a Traveler's knife?"

Emma tensed up just as Liz shoved both her and Matt back into the bathroom. Matt hit his head against the porcelain sink, it was starting to bleed already from the impact and his life was clearly slipping away from him. Emma landed on top of him but managed to keep her head clear of anything while falling.

"Damon!" Emma called out, knowing that if he was still there, he would hear her and rush to her side, but he never came.

"Looks like you're without backup," the passenger inside of Liz mocked her.