Chapter 3: Knocking on the Window

Gusts of cold wind blew across the entrance of the hospital, almost as if they were reminding the people standing there that they had to part.

Yue Xingzhou looked at the pouring rain and was just about to rush out to the parking lot when Qin Lezhi took out an umbrella from her bag. She opened it and held it over his head.

After exchanging a charming glance, Qin Lezhi smiled, took his arm, and walked toward the parking lot together.

The ten meters of distance took them several minutes to walk. When they stopped in front of Yue Xingzhou's car, Yue Xingzhou whispered, "Well... I have to go now."

Qin Lezhi still held his arm tightly and leaned on his chest. She said flirtatiously, "Why can't you stay with me for a little longer? When I wake up tomorrow, I'm scared that this will all be a dream."

Yue Xingzhou licked the corners of his lips, not knowing where to look.

After a while, he finally raised his arms and wrapped them around Qin Lezhi.

Crowding under a small-sized lady's umbrella, the raindrops fell onto Qin Lezhi's neck. She shivered in coldness, but her hands refused to let go of Yue Xingzhou.

"Are you cold?" asked Yue Xingzhou.

"Not with you beside me." Qin Lezhi hugged Yue Xingzhou even tighter.

"Please," said Yue Xingzhou, "I really got to go back. Still have to go to work tomorrow morning."

Hearing this, Qin Lezhi let go of Yue Xingzhou, and when she looked up at him, she saw that his eyes were covered in mist. His whole body was weak to the point that the rain seemed to be melting him away.

She hooked Yue Xingzhou's pinky with hers and shook it gently. "Xingzhou, I hope you will seriously consider what I said to you today. I can give you everything she can give you and also things she can't."

She let go of him and continued, "My uncle is still waiting for me. I'll see you later."

Yue Xingzhou stared at Qin Lezhi blankly as she got into a fancy Rolls-Royce. His eyes gleaming under the dim parking lot lights.

He turned around and slowly approached his car.

In the darkness of night, he couldn't see much clearly. After taking out his keys and pressing the unlock button, he felt something hard on the car handle as he tried to open the door.

When he found out what it was, his heart started racing and his blood surged. Instantly, his mind turned blank and he was so nervous that he felt as if his nerves were about to burst.

——

Three forty-five in the morning.

The rain probably stopped already, and the continuous honking sounds from the busy street became sharp and clear.

Zheng Shuyi was lying flat on the bed, looking at the ceiling. In the chaos, her mind was buzzing, and her heart was empty as if all the oxygen in her body got pumped out.

After she got back home, she found herself a cardboard box and dumped everything Yue Xingzhou gave her in there.

For things that she had already used and couldn't return, she wrote down a list and placed it into the box, planning to return the cash in equal value.

She didn't forget to include the price for one of Song Lelan's concert tickets which were intended for both of them to go watch together. She placed it on the very top.

Right now, she was just patiently waiting for Yue Xingzhou to come to look for her.

Before long, the doorbell rang.