Chapter 43: "Sorry"

The fifth day of Chinese New Year was known as the Festival of Po Wu. After greeting the God of Wealth and sending the Ghost of Poverty away, families would make dumplings together and prepare for the upcoming year.

Zheng Shuyi's family was no exception.

In the evening, Wang Meiru was chopping dumpling stuffings in the kitchen.

The kitchen window was close to the window of Zheng Shuyi's room. She deliberately chopped really loudly, hoping Zheng Shuyi could hear her dissatisfaction.

Chop! Chop! Chop!

Wang Meiru held the handle of the knife and smashed it on the cutting board as if she was trying to release anger.

"In her twenties already and all she knows is how to sleep. What's the difference between her and a pig? The first thing she does when she comes back is sleep! I think she's digging roots into the bed!"

"And she doesn't even come out to help. So lazy. How does she even live alone in Jiang City!"

Zheng Su rolled the dumpling wrapper and replied with a smile, "Children have their own matters to deal with, we elders shouldn't worry too much about them."

"She didn't come out of you of course you don't worry about her," Wang Meirui sneered coldly, "Just look at your daughter! She better find someone to serve her all day, otherwise, she'll starve to death sooner or later."

After saying a few more words, she placed the kitchen knife down and angrily pushed open the door to Zheng Shuyi's room.

"Time to eat! Would you like an invitation!"

Zheng Shuyi stuck her head out of the quilt and let out a dull "oh".

After returning from the aquarium, she lied to her parents and said that she ate lunch already, and then shut herself into her room and fell into a deep sleep.

As for why she chose to sleep――

The words before Shi Yan hung up the phone were like a knife, cutting apart her last bit of hope.

The moment when all the strings in her brain snapped, the breakdown was only temporary.

The remaining emotions were the ones that slowly spread apart endlessly.

Zheng Shuyi didn't know what was wrong with her.

She could clearly feel how uncomfortable she felt at the moment. The shame of her lies being exposed, the self-blame of doing the wrong things, all the guilty feelings were flooding into her.

But she didn't feel the anger she felt when Yue Xingzhou betrayed her.

She couldn't even cry.

She felt like she couldn't breathe like a patient with a bad cold, like there was something sour stuffed in her chest.

She couldn't think and focus.

The only way to escape such emotions was to sleep.

She got into her bed and wrapped herself tightly in the quilt. She wouldn't feel anything after she falls asleep.

But sleeping was often the cause of a vicious circle.

Every time she woke up, she could only feel that her body was weak and yet the dull mood in her heart did not get any better.

And then she could only continue to make herself sleep.

——

But she still had to attend today's dinner. Zheng Shuyi just ate a few dumplings and then returned to her room again.