Episode/Chapter 1 - New Beginnings Part 3

Dick groaned as he started waking up. He held his forehead. He had a huge headache. He could hear the beeping of a machine, indistinct conversation, and familiar voices.

"Shh... he's waking up..." he heard a familiar voice say. He opened his eyes and shook his head, trying to clear his vision. He found himself sitting in a hospital bed, shirtless, maskless, and with his entire squad there with him.

"Wh-what happened? How did I get here?" Dick asked as he started sitting up. Then Zatanna pushed him back down gently.

"You have to stay in bed and get some rest." she said.

"We were watching the Earth-Mars Com-Sat Relaunch. You were caught in a big explosion, then went unconscious for a few hours. You suffered a minor concussion. Unfortunately, it's just a little above minor, but well below major, so you're not allowed to drive or go to work for a few days." Robin explained.

"Oh. That's right..." Dick said and looked out the window.

"Just, get some rest today. Okay? No more missions the rest of the day for you." Wonder Girl said.

"But...then you have to do all the explaining to the team." Dick said.

"Fine, fine. But we're more concerned about you." Artemis said.

"Heh...well thank you." Dick thanked.

"Let's go. He has a visitor. Plus, we need to head back." Robin said. They all walked out into the hallway. Artemis stopped and turned to him. She smiled, earning her a smile from him, and she headed out. Dick heard footsteps in the hallway and a man in a business suit and tie walked in. It was Bruce Wayne. Dick groaned.

"I know, I know. You're going to kill me for this." Dick said as Bruce stood next to his bed.

"Why would I kill you after you almost died only less than three hours ago?!" Bruce asked.

"You mean...you're not mad?" Dick asked in disbelief.

"Why would I be? Mission accomplished! The satellite's in orbit and you brought us evidence on Savage's next moves!" Bruce said.

"Really? Huh. We noticed that on one of those mines, there was a symbol. The letter 'L' was on it. Does that mean anything?" Dick asked. Bruce's eyes grew wide.

"That's Lexcorp Tech."

"Lexcorp?! Isn't that..."

"Yeah. Lex Luthor is behind this." Bruce answered.

"Hey, Luthor and Queen Bee never showed at the Summit. Neither did Psimon!" Dick said.

"See? You did do good. You brought us evidence for us to investigate. And while we do that, you'll be resting here." Bruce said.

"No. I'm going with you." Dick protested and started getting up, but fell back down when his head pounded painfully.

"No. You're staying here. I just came by to see how you were doing and to bring you the news. I'll be off now." Bruce said as Dick sighed and leaned his head on the wall. Bruce walked to the door, then turned back to Dick.

"Oh, right. I also meant to tell you that Alpha Squad made it to Iraq safely. They'll be investigating pretty soon." Bruce said.

"Good. Thanks." Dick replied and Bruce left. Dick sighed again and looked out the window. After a minute, he growled.

Grr...I can't stay here! I need to find a way out of here! Dick thought. He got out of bed, but fell back on the bed, due to his extreme headache. He groaned and held his forehead. Then he got up slowly and moved to the nearest chair where his shirt and his mask were. He put them on and casually made his way to the door. He looked around for some sort of medicine to relieve the pain in his head. He found a medicine cart in the hall and found a headache relief medicine. He quickly took it and ran back into his room. He opened the window and stood on the ledge. He reached for his grappling hook on his utility belt, leaped out the window, shot the grapple onto a building ledge, and he flew to the top of a roof. Then he routed on his hologram watch where he was headed: Palo Alto.

____________________

Later that night, Artemis was at her house. She was sitting on her couch looking at a picture of her and Wally. Her eyes filled with tears. Then she heard knocking at the door. She put the picture back on the side table and wiped her eyes. She inhaled and exhaled slowly, trying to keep herself together. Then she opened the door. When she opened it, her eyes opened wider as she stared at Dick standing at her door.

"Dick! What are you doing here?!" Artemis asked.

"That doesn't look like something you'd wear on a date!" Dick laughed and looked her up and down. She wore torn jeans and an Abercrombie t-shirt.

"I should say the same thing to you." Artemis replied and looked him up and down. He wore jeans and a black t-shirt and a brown leather jacket over that.

"...touché." he said.

"Well, you're not even supposed to be here! You're supposed to be at the hospital!" Artemis said.

"Well, I didn't want to disappoint you. Besides...I haven't been out to dinner with a girl in a while. I really need this date." Dick replied and looked up at her. She sighed and walked out onto the front step and shut the door behind her.

"So where are you taking me? You can't drive." She asked. Dick smiled.

"I thought we'd just walk to the nearest fast-food restaurant. Nothing fancy." Dick said.

"Well, after that, where are you going? Do you know how far Blüdhaven is?" Artemis asked.

"I just thought I'd check into a hotel." Dick said as they walked down the sidewalk.

"Walk there? I don't think so. It's late, too. Why don't you stay...overnight?" Artemis asked. Dick looked down at her and smirked.

"You okay with that?" He asked.

"It's been pretty lonely. Please!" Artemis said. Then she grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him into a kiss. After kissing for a few seconds she let him go, "Yes! I'm great with that!" Artemis smiled, making him smile, and they went to dinner at a fast-food restaurant hand in hand.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! Find Episode/chapter 2 soon! Raven!

...To be honest, I was really worried about having their relationship starting so soon...but, whatevs! It happens!