Prologue

Scarlett - 9 years ago

No one knows how much I cried that day. I sobbed, screamed and cursed until my voice was cut off. That day my life completely changed, but most importantly...I changed.

"Please,Connor. I'll be good." I plead. My hands clasped together, eyes full of tears and sitting pathetically on my knees. My weak voice became weaker each time he looked at me.

He looked at me with such hate. I never saw it before. The loathing and abhor he carried in his eyes everytime they landed on me.

"Please. I won't even open my mouth again, just please don't go."

"Shut up, Scarlett!" He grabbed me by the shoulder and threw me against our dresser. The harsh pounding of my back with the dresser intensified when he pushed me against it and squeezed my throat. "You did this! You trapped me here. With you. With this." His other hand gripped my little baby bump and all my fears climbed up my throat.

"Please, Connor. I'll keep quiet. Just please calm down! Don't get angry." My sobs increased with every angry breath he let out. I wanted to get him to calm down, I needed to.

"Connor. Please. I love-"

"This!" He slaps me. "Is not love!" Connor took a step back releasing me. "You destroyed my life. You took everything." He raised his hand and landed another slap on my face. A stronger, faster one. I could react, shield myself. I didn't have time.

All I could do was run away after my cheek almost hit the floor.

I rushed through our bedroom's door, but it was a miserable attempt. He caught me and threw me on the bed. I knew what would happen after this. Connor did it before. One or twice. A slap or two. A jarring word or two that breaks my heart. I knew that this would be one of those challenging moments any married couple endures.

However, I neve thought he'd lose control. I never thought he'd hit me until I passed out. I never thought there would be no waking up to his apology message and acting like nothing happened. I never thought my love for Connor would change to hate.

I never thought I'd lose everything that night.

I never thought I'd lose myself. That version of me was dead.

Forever.