Chapter 18

Scarlett

I am one of the girls! Apparently.

Dr.Grace invited Addison and I to brunch last night. After dessert she told me she'll have lunch with Ava and a bunch of other doctors from all over the city and that she would love it if we would come.

She said that it would be a great opportunity to be just us girls this time, without her and Ava's husband. And my fiance. I hate that word. I hate him

Last night he kept talking me up and making me look good in front of the hospital, but it just made me mad. I should have been happy with how the dinner went and with the brunch invite I had secured...because of him, but I was not.

All I kept thinking about is the lies. They flow so smoothing out of us, and it bothers me. All I kept thinking about was how his eyes said the complete opposite every time he said something good about me. They might have not seen it, but I did. I know what he thinks of me, I know how much he enjoyed giving me those secret, whispered insults while he talked me up in public. He likes our banter and I know he liked our secret battle last night too.

The only good thing that came out of last night other than the brunch invitation was that Joey made a new friend she completely adores. Grace's youngest son. She kept talking about him all the way back to my house until she fell asleep.

Joshua on the other hand didn't say a word to me all the way back.

I could feel anger roll off him, but I didn't know the specific reason for it. It was like he was holding himself back from chopping my arms off and feeding them to me.

I always feel that tension from him but this time I didn;t know the reason for it exactly.

He opened my door, pulled me out of the car and got back in the car as fast as the speed of light, without saying a word.

"Scarlett, over here."

I look over my shoulder, to find a round table full of ladies that are drinking mimosa's as if it is the only drink left in the world.

"Hello." I say while hugging Grace. I say hello to Ava, Dr. Sou Chang, best plastic surgeon in California, Dr. Leila Eiz, best OB-GYN in our hospital, and Dr. Maya Garcia, one of the best trauma surgeons in the country actually.

"Where is Addison, I thought she was coming with you?" Grace asks while we sit.

"Oh, Carter is coming?" Maya says, I remember Addison saying something about collaborating with her before. Like I said, Addison worked with almost everyone.

"Yes, but she got held up at work, she'll be driving from there."

"Alright, let me pour you some mimosas then and let the game begin." Leila says with a mischievous smile on her face.

"Game?" I arch an eyebrow.

"Yes, we play a game. Everytime someone tries to talk about work, we drink."

Well, this is fun. I thought today will be dull, but this will be so much fun. I laugh and accept the challenge. "This will be fun, but it is a bit easy, right?"

Now, they all laugh. Ava leans in and says, "Oh honey, you have no idea how hard it is."

My phone pinged and I got out my phone to see who sent me a text.

"Oh, It is Addison. She said to apologize to you all, she would've loved to be here but she got held up with the team. She can't leave the stadium."

"Oh tell her it is alright, and I'll be waiting to see her here next time." Next time. Wow. Grace says.

"Okay, let us start drinking!"

"Yes!!!"

********

"This is impossible!" I take another sip.

They all laugh. I haven't got this drunk...in forever.

It was so hard to not talk about work. I didn't know what to say. Everytime I opened my mouth, I found myself talking about a patient, a surgery or a new research I want to do. It was impossible not to talk about work.

"I told you it is hard."

We haven't stopped laughing since Sou told us about how her 3 ex husband's discovered they were married to the same woman...at her wedding to her 4th husband. They were the best men!

"Oh. We need to sober up. I am going to the hospital for the night shift."Maya says while trying to steal another mimosa.

"No." Ava takes the glass. "There is a drinking limit for a reason. We all have a job to get back to."

Yes, they have a limit so we don;t get drunk.

My phone is vibrating again but this time it is not a text, it is ringing too.

I look at the number and it's Joshua's. Why would he call me?

"Excuse me, I have to take this."

I stand up and go to the bathroom hallway.

"Hello?"

He takes a long time before answering, which annoys me. But then I hear his panicked voice and my heart drops. "I need you to go to Joey."

"Is she okay?"

"No. Of course not. I wouldn't be calling you if she was. Addie and Aron are stuck here with me and we can't leave. Some of the board members are here to watch the team and it is an important day before we start this season." Yes, I'm the third option, great. "And Aaron's cousin is in another state." Fourth...wow. "I don't know what exactly happened, but they said she fell in training and she's not feeling good."

"I'm on my way."

I head back to the table while I hear Joshua release a relieved breath and say, "Thank you." Before ending the call.

"Sorry, I have to go. It's an emergency."

"Is everything okay? You don't look well." Ava's concerned face increases with every second I take before answering her.

Yes, because my-

Because Joey fell.

Joey fell on ice!

Joey fell.

"It is Joey. Everything is okay." No, it is not. "I just have to go to her."

"Oh, of course, if you need anything, let me know."

"Thank you. And thank you all, I had a great time."

"See you next time." Leila kindly says, but I am already out of the door.

Fuck.

Please be okay.

Please be okay.

Please be okay.

Please be okay.

Please be okay.