Chapter 35

Scarlett

I open my eyes and find myself on top of Joshua.

Joshua?

Where am I? Everything feels...fuzzy and dizzy. I squeeze my eyes and open them a couple of times to clear my vision.

I sit up on him and force my eyes to see clearly. Are we in my trunk?

"Hi." Here is that 'Hi' again. That deep, low breath of a word that stops time around us.

I look down at him, "Hello."

"What time is it?"

"It has been three hours since I got here. 10."

"Oh...And here...is...?"

"Soccer bar. You were drunk." He lowers his eyes to my body. I look down and find the large soccer jacker I am wearing.

Crap. What did I do? Last thing I remember is dropping JJ off with too much ice cream and texting Addie I had an emergency.

I look down at him and find a red lipstick stain on his shirt. He looks down and sees it too. Tension in the car immediately thickens and our eyes connect with the same intensity I hate and slowly begin to enjoy too.

"We need to talk." He cuts our connection and pulls his body from under me and moves to the front of the car.

"I am so sorry. I know you are mad, but really I had an...and emergency and I had to leave JJ with Addie. You have to understand I would never-"

"I believe you." He simply says while turning the car on. "There is a storm near us and your stomach grumbled a few times. Let us find a place to sleep and eat. Then we'll talk."

"Are we that far?"

"Two hours." Fuck.

He starts driving without saying anything else.

I get locked up in my thoughts and try to remember how I ended up here. I remember I cried, screamed. I drank...maybe ate? I think after I dropped off JJ I just kept driving until I found this place. It would make sense. I hate bars like these, and I love torturing myself. I could believe I came here to drink in my own sorrows and agony.

********

We reach the nearest motel and Joshua gets us the last room available.

"Why this motel? Are you planning on killing me here?"

He doesn't chuckle, smile or even offer me a look. He just opens the door to our room.

We go in and freeze from the sight in front of us.

One bed. One very very small bed. Really, One bed? Ugh!

"We could go to a hotel, we have money, you know."

He rolls his eyes, "Did you hear yourself, satan?"

"Yes, I did. And I am not sharing a bed with you."

He smirks, "I thought you liked cuddling, red."

Ugh. I go to the filthiest, smallest bathroom in the world and lock myself inside it. I take out my headband I found at the car and put my hair up.

I lean my back to the door and close my eyes. This day has been a rollercoaster. I have never forgotten this day before, ever. I would disappear the whole week before, I wouldn't call dad or addie. I would just be with myself. With my thoughts, and maybe a bottle of wine.

I slide down the door and I almost sit my arse on the nasty floor, when Joshua knocks.

I freeze mid slide.