Chapter 29

Scarlett

For the past few days I have been meeting with the board members in the hospital. They watch my work and my surgeries. Thank god. There were no dinners or brunches or whatever other thing they invited us to. I loved staying at the hospital and avoiding Joshua. I loved showing off my talent and making them see all the things I want to accomplish as chief. The only thing I hated was not seeing JJ. I miss her.

I just finished my last surgery of the day, had dinner with Addie to catch up and called my dad. Now I am headed to the rink to take my mind off what happened with Joshua...and maybe if I am lucky I will see JJ there too.

The call with my dad was not fun. I have to admit he had every right to be mad, but he was overreacting when he asked me three times if Joshua coerced me into this marriage. If he only knew that I am the one who's forcing him into it.

I could not tell him the truth. It felt like...wrong to tell my legendary father how I am getting the chief job. He does not really know what I have become. He does not know the scary nickname I know my interns call me behind my back. He does not know me. He gets a version I made just for him, because he is the only one, other than the man who destroyed me, who saw me at my worst. Saw me when I lost everything I lived for and changed. He knows the whole story.

I enter the rink and get disappointed from its emptiness. I really wanted to see JJ.

I sigh and start putting on my skates.

I tried out some quad jumps and spins together. I take the whole rink running all by myself and let the cold ice brush away any thought of Joshua.

His hands, voice, mouth.

I remove them all.

"Sweetheart!" My legs freeze mid spin making me almost trip and break my whole body.

Joshua is here.

"Mommy!" And JJ.

I skate over to them and try to control my surprise but I can't. "What are you doing here?"

"Skating with you!" JJ pulls her dad onto the ice and she starts skating away. Laughing and giggles trying to do the same spins I did.

"Be careful, little one."

"Okay mommy."

I smile and enjoy watching her for a while. She's gorgeous. A little angel.

"Hi." His voice carries so many unspoken words I can not even begin to understand how he delivered with one word like this. This intensely and deeply. It makes my whole body ache that it is not touching him now.

I turn my head away from JJ and look into his gray powerful eyes.

"Hello." I scrape. My voice is so raspy I do not even bother hiding it when I clear my throat.

"JJ wanted to see you, and I didn't argue. My girls should have all my attention, so...stop avoiding me." My Girls.

"What did I tell you about your orders?"

"What did I tell you about your attention? I need it too."

"Never thought you were the needy, clingy type."

"I'm not, but a certain redhead with a personality from hell has something I still want."

I cock my eyebrow, "Really? What is that?"

"Come to our first match tomorrow, it is a friendly one. Addie will be there."

"That is what you want from me?"

"Yes, satan. My intentions are pure." He gives me his most innocent smile. Bullshit.

I narrow my eyes and watch him for a few seconds. Before I give him a smartass reply I realize her by holding on to the rink's borders for dear life. His knuckles are white and He is almost...sweaty.

"Blondie?"

"Yes, red?"

"Do you know how to skate?"

He tries to hide his laugh, but it is too late. I start laughing and lowering my jaw in shock.

"Wait, wait, wait-"

"The whole I propose on the rink thing just makes our lies even more unbelievable now." He can't skate!

He laughs louder and I like it. I like Joshua's laugh. He always laughed before, but all it did was make my blood boil. It still does...but now it feels good to boil.

"I never came here as a kid." He says while our laughter dies.

"Oh." I want to hang on to the sadness in his voice and get more out of him, but I stop myself. If he opens up, then he'll expect the same from me. I can not have that.

"So, Match? JJ already saved you a seat next to her." Then I am coming without even thinking about it, but he does not need to hear that.

"I'll squeeze you in between my surgeries."

"You don't have surgery tomorrow I checked."

"You can not do that."

"As your financé I can, sweetheart."

I roll my eyes and pull his hand.

"No."

"Come on! Just hold my hands"

"Fine." He held my hand and we started skating together slowly.

JJ giggles and chants for her dad. I like this.

"What are you staring at?" He's staring at my pants.

"I have never seen you in anything but suits before. I like your body."

"I am wearing leggings and a baggy sweatshirt, I can hardly say you are seeing my body."

"In my mind you are naked, so yes I can see it." he smiles up at me while trying not to slip and winks. Cheeky bastard.

"Stop imagining me naked."

"I can't."

"Maybe this will help." I let go of his hand and pushed him forward.

"No! Fu-" His whole face hits the ice first and he slides over half the rink. It is the best sight of my life.

JJ and I laugh while he tries to stand up. "Scarlett, I will fu-"

"Daddy! No bad words." JJ screams from beside me.

"Hahahahaha!" Yes, I definitely like this.