Chapter 12

Joshua

I am sitting in the most filthy bar in California. Drinking alone. Celebrating my engagement. Huh...This is a cruel joke. I feel like my mom wrote this chapter of my life.

Oh my god, what if my mom sent Scarlett into my life? She could've done it, the woman is savage. They both are.

Last night wasn't a good night. Joey and I got into a fight after therapy.

I was trying to change her mind about Scarlett and maybe find a way for her to forget about the whole 'we are getting married' thing, and it blew up in my face.

Joey cried. She cried!

I never want to see her crying like that again, or begging me to stay with mommy so we all be a happy family. Seeing my daughter like that gave me reason enough to agree to this insane deal with Scarlett.

She said, "Will she leave us if you don't marry her?" She sniffed. "We won't do sleepovers? Please daddy, I want mommy with us. Please." Another sniff. "...Did she stop liking me?"

I immediately mentally kicked myself and told her everything is alright. No one is leaving and we are getting married. She smiled softly and finally let me read her a bedtime story like always. I lied to my daughter. I have never lied to her before. Never. This is my first lie to her.

Whenever she asks about anything, I tell her the truth. Even about her mom and my shitty parents. Once she asked me where her grandparents are and what they are like. I told her they died and they were not the best but they raised me. I shielded her from the whole truth, but I did not lie. I did not have to give her all the gruesome details. JJ kissed me on both my cheeks that night and told me I am the best daddy ever, and made me feel good. As a father. She healed the wounded, little kid in me, who once thought he would be a shitty father just like his own.

But I am not. I don't want to lie to her. I don't want to give her details about a fake relationship. A fake relationship with the devil herself. I hate her for making me lie to my daughter.

It broke my heart seeing her like that. I can't believe how much she really wants this...wants Scarlett. I always knew she wanted us to become a family. I wanted that too, but her attachment with Scarlett is astounding. She really loves her. I don't know how or when but she does.

"Blondie, what an unexpected displeasure." That husky voice is my kryptonite. I can feel it burn my skin and shred my veins into pieces. Oh, not tonight!

"No." I turn around and find her. Black suit, red hair and red lips. Fuck she looks bloodthristy. "No, pantsuit. This is my bar now. I drink here."

"I came first."

"No. I did." I have been here for an hour.

"I saw you come in an hour ago, hawks." Fuck. She is enraging.

"Why do you always have to be this vile?"

"Why must you always be this invigorating?" She raises a challenging eyebrow. "Have a drink with me, I'm your new fiance after all."

"Fuck, no."

"Maybe once you agree, Hawks. We need to talk about our business agreement."

"Of course, you'd call it business." I blowout a frustrated breath. "No drinking and I would never dream of touching you satan. I would rather die than...have intercourse."

"My god! Hawks! Get over your bloody self. And Intercourse,? Really man-child? Look, it is just a drink. Plus, we need to talk."

I stand up , dropping a couple of bills and head for the door.

She follows.

I got out and kept walking to my car. "Stop following me."

"I would rather die than hurt her." All my movements suddenly come to an end.

"What did you say?" I turn and see the pleading in her eyes. This is a first.

"I know how you see me. I will make you a deal."

"What kind of deal?"

"Get me that chief job, and I will never ever talk to you both again. JJ's phase will pass and if it doesn't by the time I have my job, I will tell her I am leaving. Whatever you want me to say that will let her let go of me, I will say it. I will be there for her this next month whenever and wherever you need me to. I will help you make her that happy for as long as you want me to. She is a happy Hawks, we all see that."

I cross my arms and avoid her eyes. Because she is right. I have never seen Joey this happy. Ever.

"I am asking you for a favor. I know I do not have the right to. I know I am arrogant and...well, full of flaws, but I will humble myself to give your daughter the best month of her life. I will do anything you want me to do this month."

"You are this desperate?" She's a coward, she'll never admit this.

"Yes. Like you said, I don't have a life, it is miserable. The only good thing is my work. I work hard, Hawks. I save lives and I am good at it. I want to save even more and help so many more."

I can't even cover my surprise. She sees it and a corner of her mouth lifts. "One new thing to know about me, blondie. I never shy away from admitting difficult things, and I never lie."

I raise an eyebrow.

"Well, I used to never lie." The curve of her mouth increases. "I had a 9 year streak of never lying, but I broke it two days ago." She doesn't hide the disappointment in her eyes and the way her face falls. She sighs, looks down at her shoes and mumbles, "First lie after 9 years..." She scoffs, "I'll never forget that."

Fuck, well this is a surprise.

She looks up again, "Hawks, we still hate each other. You could try whatever you want to try to make this difficult for me, but I know you won't ruin it for your daughter." Her sly tone is back.

There she is. The wicked witch I know and actually prefer.

"So all that was a rehearsed speech and either way you know I'll do it."

Her eyes flash mine with something I rarely see on Scarlett. Hurt. But she covers it up well.

"No, you arse. Not rehearsed. I will be there for you daughter and I will give her everything that will make her happy. That is the deal. But yes, There is no take it or leave it. You just take it."

I laugh at her aggressive tone and ask her, "What made you like this? Who?"

This demon wasn't born like this from the start, right?

The hurt turns into storms of anger, and her light green eyes turn dark.

"You know what, Hawks-"

We both look next to us following the sound of the sudden, loud crash.

A kid just got hit by a car.

A kid got hit by a car.